Mini's - Looking in all the wrong places?

docilefoxx

Tourist
Hi,

It has taken me a very long lifetime to acquire a property with land and a barn / amenities to be able to get mini's. I am finally ready and... guess what? I can't find any?? OK, so that is not totally true, I can find fancy breeders on the internet that want like $5k , $10k or more deposit on a 2 year waiting list (scam?) for the prize bloodlines which are of course beautiful in pictures. I occasionally see one on craigslist looking old and shady healthwise with little truth on their background and dodging questions on temperament. Are they just all gone now or am I looking in all the wrong places? I used to see them all the time. Horses ( or cows) under 200 lbs the size of large dogs. They were often used as support animals for hospitals and stuff? Gone?? I was worried so much about making sure I have the perfect place, I guess I never paid enough attention to where they come from. Any help from anyone would be appreciated. internet links to the "correct" places perhaps? Should I be going to county fairs or something instead of looking on the internet? I don't need a blue ribbon trophy mini, I just want happy and healthy.

Without knowing roughly where you live it's hard to say, a quick glance through the local for sale adds near me shows several minis for $1000 or less, even one mare and filly for $1200. Private sales are always going to be cheaper than buying from a breeder, and unfortunately many people buy a mini only to sell them in a couple of years when either they or their kids tire of them.

One thing that I will say is don't be afraid of a "older" mini, I bought a 14 year old mini mare many years ago, she is still doing well and turned 42 not long ago.

The reality of minis is that the *HUGE* majority of potential sources are breeders/show folk interested mainly in the money and/or ribbons, or they're folks who got sucked in with the idea that they were gonna make some fast money breeding and selling, bought in about 15-20 years back, got - AT BEST - pet-grade stock that, financially, is worth damn near nothing - but paid top dollar - and figured out too late that horses, whether big or small, are walking money-pits, and they're desperately trying to recover what they've lost.

The first type are going to be asking big money for show-grade stock, or trying to pick up some extra bucks by selling off what amount to culls or (human-equivalent) 90 year olds.

The second type are generally damned fools who have little or no interest in the critters beyond "If I can sell X critters at Y dollars each, I can finally unload this damned white elephant!" If they were dogs instead of little horses, they'd be called puppy-mill operators. Unfortunately, these are also the ones who are trying to flog bad-tempered, unsocialized, useless-as-anything-but-lawn-ornaments (if they're even good for that much), cull-grade, oversized, dwarf, with health issues, or otherwise "unacceptable in the show ring" critters that should never have been brought into existence in the first place. And usually at "This here's a guaranteed blue-ribbon-in-every-class-you-enter-it-in bona-fide steal at $25K mini-horse" level prices, when the critter they're trying to sell is actually a dwarf with a temperament that's a threat to anyone near it, and a value somewhere around meat price to anyone with an actual clue.

There are a few "good eggs" out there selling decent stock, at reasonable-for-what-they-are prices, but they're few and far between. Truth be told, minis are pretty well "past the peak" as far as either show-critters or pets, at least here in America. They're mainly a draw for the "Awwww... Ain't that cute!" crowd that doesn't know any better. "Novelty items", in other words. Or PERHAPS, "status symbols".

As someone who has worked with everything from the tiniest minis, all the way up to the largest drafters for most of 50 years, I personally find that the majority of minis are ill-tempered, founder-prone, frequently health-impaired (especially teeth and jaw issues, and let's don't even start discussing the problems that come of dwarfism, or how few people who deal with minis can even recognize that their "prize mini" is actually a dwarf cull that nobody knowledgable would allow to breed) obnoxious little assholes. This is partly breeding, and partly lack of proper handling by someone qualified, or both. The combination is "deadly", and all-too-often results in a "cute to look at, but absolute hell to have to deal with at any distance less than "the other side of the fence" little monsters that frequently show up at the local auction going for less than meat price, just to relieve the previous owners of the money-burning nightmare they've found themselves in, or on Craigslist or similar going for either some ridiculously low price that would (or at least, should) be a red-flag to anyone who knows anything about horses in general, or minis in particular, or a price so ridiculously high that nobody with any sense would pay it. (But then, as Mr. Barnum said, there's one born every minute...)

If only you could just go to the local pet store and pick out the one you want and put it in the cart to check out 🤔

View attachment 166114
If that little critter is a day over 6 weeks, I'll eat my hat. Looks like either a rejected,or orphaned bottle baby to me. Doesn't look bad, conformation wise, at least from what can be seen, but I'd be willing to bet it's already got bad behavioral issues, since there's practically nobody on the planet that can raise a bottle-baby horse without turning it into a spoiled-rotten monster brat, no matter how well-intended they might be when they go into the project.

On the plus side, I'd bet it doesn't have any serious trouble with trailering :)

If that little critter is a day over 6 weeks, I'll eat my hat. Looks like either a rejected,or orphaned bottle baby to me. Doesn't look bad, conformation wise, at least from what can be seen, but I'd be willing to bet it's already got bad behavioral issues, since there's practically nobody on the planet that can raise a bottle-baby horse without turning it into a spoiled-rotten monster brat, no matter how well-intended they might be when they go into the project.

On the plus side, I'd bet it doesn't have any serious trouble with trailering :)
I can only imagine how bad the shopping cart mini is going to be, I know exactly how spoiled rotten the last foal I bottle raised is, at least the mini should be small enough not to be a huge problem.

Minivans appear to be the transport of choice for people who have to take their mini everywhere they go, no trailer required but I'd rather not have to wash out the back after every trip.

There are a few options for getting miniature equines.

You can go to breeders. These come in the "serious" category who are breeding and competing at a serious level. They plan each foal and generally you are looking at big money but your buying from someone who takes their horses seriously. Then there are the backyard breeders who have a mare and a stallion making baby minis. You are still going to pay a lot but get far less. Some people are just in it for fun because they like tiny horses but you really have to do your homework on your breeders.

Second place is private sales like craigslist. You can find the breeders here but also people just trying to get rid of their minis. Great option but you have to know what you are looking for. I wouldn't be afraid of an older mini from craigslist. Most health issues specific to mini horses show up earlier in life. Getting an older one at least you know what you are in for.

Another option is rescues. There are mini specific rescues but lots of regular horse rescues end up with minis too. Might be worth reaching out to a few and letting them know you are looking for minis. You can sometimes bypass the whole "rescue paperwork" thing by getting the horse directly from its owners who can no longer take care of it. This would be my goto for mini mares.

There are TONS of miniature horses out there and most are pretty cheap. Really depends what you are looking for. You will not find a cheap mini foal unless you are patient. Even then genetic issues are common so be prepared for that. Just like full size horses people get mini foals then get bored with them. That makes older minis a lot easier and cheaper to find. Being patient is important unless you want to just write a check. If you really want to you could visit a horse auction and buy a mini there for a few hundred dollars. Just be careful and think about what exactly you want in your equines.

Without knowing roughly where you live it's hard to say, a quick glance through the local for sale adds near me shows several minis for $1000 or less, even one mare and filly for $1200. Private sales are always going to be cheaper than buying from a breeder, and unfortunately many people buy a mini only to sell them in a couple of years when either they or their kids tire of them.

One thing that I will say is don't be afraid of a "older" mini, I bought a 14 year old mini mare many years ago, she is still doing well and turned 42 not long ago.
42?! Wow that's insane! I thought my late arab was ancient at 32... Do mini's generally live longer than full-sized?

I think you'd be much happier with a 9 to 10 hh pony. Mini's not that good. Plus ponies are a lot cheaper. I had both for many a years.
To most people ponies that small are miniature horses, with 9.2 hands or 38 inches being the size limit on minis. I have more pony like minis, while being less desirable to breeders and the show crowd don't have the same health issues like the more classic type of frail looking minis are known for.

To most people ponies that small are miniature horses, with 9.2 hands or 38 inches being the size limit on minis. I have more pony like minis, while being less desirable to breeders and the show crowd don't have the same health issues like the more classic type of frail looking minis are known for.
Under 14 hands = pony
Under either 39 or 38 inches (depending on which of the two american registries you're involved with, assuming you are) = mini

Within the category "mini", 3 sub-categories - "Class A", "Class B", and "Class C", with Class C being the tallest (38/39 inches) - all three are "provisional" until the critter in question is 4+ years old. Then there's a "hardship" category that some register under, intended mainly for "Well, it *WAS* a Class C, but then came a growth spurt" cases. They can be registered as minis, but can't compete - Sort of like the "Breeding stock paint" category for "no-chrome" horses out of a paint-horse line. It's to keep the offspring from such critters eligble to be registered, even though the "abnormals" aren't allowed to compete in the "pro" grade events.

Yes a lot of registries and classification of minis. Shetlands can be in the mini size but are still considered Shetlands. Breeding wise I'd select a pony that does not have so much Shetland or mini in the background. Thes have short legs and big fat bellies. Ideally for me, attractiveness is a pony that looks like a small horse (narrower rib cage) with long mane and full tail, cobbish in the back, shorter nose, longer ears. Ponies can be quite hairy too. I had one that her coat was over 4 inches long in the winter. The small minis have such a low center of gravity and hard to neck lead them around as their heads are so low to the ground. But I do like the quarter horse as you can see them face to face plus you can ride them. I also like the Welsh Mountain Pony.

Partner wise, the 9.5 hh range area is most comfortable. No bending and squatting needed. The smaller minis can be a little tight too depending upon your girth. The pony in the 9-10 hh range has the right feel for tight enough but not too tight. Of course they all change during cycling.

Have not heard from the OP or where he is from, but finding a pony can not be too hard. There are a lot of horse internet advertisement websites, Equine Now, Horsetopia, Dream Horse, Horse Clicks, plus Craigslist. Yes if you go the mini breeder rout you'll pay top dollar, and I would stay away from them people, as my attitude toward them is not good Its all about money and selling their calls. Plus finding the animal you love should not really be tied to a monetary value, but we all look a price or cost, And all the other usuals, vet check etc.

Hi All. Thank you for the responses. For those asking, I am in Ohio, USA. It seems I was not too far off with my initial assessment. I did not consider rescues, what a great idea. I will check that.

Most health issues specific to mini horses show up earlier in life.

This is good to know!

Thank you again for the replies. I want to be informed and knowledgeable, but I also know I am the butterflies instant hopeless romantic type that will want to but the first one I go see! haha. It is scary not knowing exactly what I am getting in too, but I have been waiting and planning forever. Patience for now I guess.

Ohio is a great place to be searching for horses. Be patient and you will find whatever you want. I might have a lead on small equines in that area. I'll see what I can find.

Hi All. Thank you for the responses. For those asking, I am in Ohio, USA. It seems I was not too far off with my initial assessment. I did not consider rescues, what a great idea. I will check that.

This is good to know!

Thank you again for the replies. I want to be informed and knowledgeable, but I also know I am the butterflies instant hopeless romantic type that will want to but the first one I go see! haha. It is scary not knowing exactly what I am getting in too, but I have been waiting and planning forever. Patience for now I guess.
Well sounds fun. But also just placing an ad in CL wanting a pony or mini can generate a response too.

I always wonder if the owners of the ponies I am looking at ever wonder what my intent is??

I think every older pony mare I have ever purchased took to human breeding like she has been doing it all her life. That makes me wonder too.

If you're in northwest Ohio, head across the state line into Indiana and hit the auction at Shipshewana (Did I mangle the spelling? Probably) and find damn near any price from "bad song" to "king's ransom", on every flavor of equine you can dream up, from just-weaned minis, to burnt-out Amish belgians and standardbreds, and every possible variation in between.

You'll have to do your own legwork to find dates, times, etc, but I can guarantee that when the auctioneer starts singing, there's something for ANYBODY interested in buying a horse at Shipse.

Mackinac Island, MI gets a shitload of the horses they use from Shipse - Just beware... One of the several years I was there, Dale Gough picked up three teams of absolutely GORGEOUS Amish-broke Belgian 6, 7, and 8 year olds for less than 10K. One of them ended up being my team that summer, and a nicer pair to work with would be hard to find again. Practically "pushbutton" ponies that I could tie the lines to the brake and just talk to 'em to drive all day long. Of course, a couple years later, Nancy Byrd went down and thought she was gonna pick up some stock, and dragged home a couple of the butt-ugliest, ill-trained (probably closer to "barely trained") black percherons that I got roped into trying to teach how to handle life on the island. She never did say what she gave for 'em, but when she sold out to Ryba and vanished, Dick sent 'em to the packing plant ASAP. Couldn't trust that pair as far as you could spit, they NEVER lost their "spook", tended to decide "Eh, we're bored here, so we're just gonna start walking" while you were trying to load/unload the dray... A bigger pain-in-the-ass team I don't think I've ever had the misfortune to drive. I'm amazed that they never went full-blown runaway. (That was Jim Pettit's year for runaways - His team got hit by bicycles screaming down fort hill twice that summer - the first time, the damage was just under 30 grand worth of smashed bicycles and street-lamps, and a totally destroyed (but fortunately, empty) baby stroller, the second time cost him a broken arm and a massive case of road-rash as he managed to catch the lines, but then got bounced off the side of the dray and run over/dragged - That time, the team managed to stay more-or-less in the center of main street, and didn't do much property damage beyond the bike that some idiot literally picked up and threw in front of them in hopes it might stop them - it didn't... but had to be chased most of the way to the library before someone was able to get aboard and haul them down.)

Damn! That's a lot to unpack! I'd love to have some of your knowledge...

If you're in northwest Ohio, head across the state line into Indiana and hit the auction at Shipshewana (Did I mangle the spelling? Probably) and find damn near any price from "bad song" to "king's ransom", on every flavor of equine you can dream up, from just-weaned minis, to burnt-out Amish belgians and standardbreds, and every possible variation in between.

You'll have to do your own legwork to find dates, times, etc, but I can guarantee that when the auctioneer starts singing, there's something for ANYBODY interested in buying a horse at Shipse.

Mackinac Island, MI gets a shitload of the horses they use from Shipse - Just beware... One of the several years I was there, Dale Gough picked up three teams of absolutely GORGEOUS Amish-broke Belgian 6, 7, and 8 year olds for less than 10K. One of them ended up being my team that summer, and a nicer pair to work with would be hard to find again. Practically "pushbutton" ponies that I could tie the lines to the brake and just talk to 'em to drive all day long. Of course, a couple years later, Nancy Byrd went down and thought she was gonna pick up some stock, and dragged home a couple of the butt-ugliest, ill-trained (probably closer to "barely trained") black percherons that I got roped into trying to teach how to handle life on the island. She never did say what she gave for 'em, but when she sold out to Ryba and vanished, Dick sent 'em to the packing plant ASAP. Couldn't trust that pair as far as you could spit, they NEVER lost their "spook", tended to decide "Eh, we're bored here, so we're just gonna start walking" while you were trying to load/unload the dray... A bigger pain-in-the-ass team I don't think I've ever had the misfortune to drive. I'm amazed that they never went full-blown runaway. (That was Jim Pettit's year for runaways - His team got hit by bicycles screaming down fort hill twice that summer - the first time, the damage was just under 30 grand worth of smashed bicycles and street-lamps, and a totally destroyed (but fortunately, empty) baby stroller, the second time cost him a broken arm and a massive case of road-rash as he managed to catch the lines, but then got bounced off the side of the dray and run over/dragged - That time, the team managed to stay more-or-less in the center of main street, and didn't do much property damage beyond the bike that some idiot literally picked up and threw in front of them in hopes it might stop them - it didn't... but had to be chased most of the way to the library before someone was able to get aboard and haul them down.)

- the first time, the damage was just under 30 grand worth of smashed bicycles and street-lamps, and a totally destroyed (but fortunately, empty) baby stroller, the second time cost him a broken arm and a massive case of road-rash as he managed to catch the lines, but then got bounced off the side of the dray and run over/dragged -

man, you are really selling it. I am so excited now. hahaha. /s

man, you are really selling it. I am so excited now. hahaha. /s
Nah, Jim's team was fine, in general - it's just they didn't take well to having a stupid kid come screaming down fort hill (If you know what you're doing well enough to avoid crashing, it's entirely possible to hit 50+ MPH down that hill without turning the pedals once - you'll likely either die when you smear yourself into the front of the chamber of commerce building, or end up in the lake when you miss the corner and shoot down the Chippewa hotel's service alley, though...) out of control on a bike that was probably doing 20+, and slam into them broadside. Ain't many horses will deal well with a situation like that. Poor Jim had the bad luck to have it happen to him twice that summer. Basically, all he could do was ride it out. Or at least, TRY to, like the second one. He (and his horses) didn't do diddly-squat wrong, other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The point I was actually trying to make was that if you hit the Shipse auction, you can get *MONDO HIGH* quality (like the ones Dale brought back), or you can get stuck with a booby-prize like the pair Nancy dragged home and stuck me with.

A mini with a attitude problem is one thing, a draft horse is a freaking nightmare if it's not very well mannered and trained.

View attachment 166872
That's cute. Too bad they used an obvious dwarf for the mini. That poor little thing ain't gonna have a very long or pleasant life, I'd bet... I see serious leg problems in his future - if ?his? teeth overgrowing his head don't do him in first :(

At least her owners never bred her, apparently she was killed in a flood a couple of years ago, how she lived to be 17 is amazing with how severe her dwarfism was :(
Hadn't heard anything about that. 17 is "just a kid" for NORMAL minis. I've heard of more than I can count that have made it to 40 and beyond.

The part that probably bothers me most about her "fame" was that I never once saw a video of her that showed me a "happy" horse. Every time I saw her, she was in plain-as-day "Go away! Get out of here! I don't want you around! Bug out already! I want some peace! Leave me alone or I'm gonna bite/kick you!" mode. Yet everybody was always ooohing and awwwing and "Oh, ain't that just so cute!"-ing. It was all I could do to keep from screaming at the screen "Can't you damned idiots see she's not being cute, or fiesty, or whatever - she's stressing like a mad bastard, and trying to tell you to leave her the hell ALONE!?!?!?"

Hadn't heard anything about that. 17 is "just a kid" for NORMAL minis. I've heard of more than I can count that have made it to 40 and beyond.

The part that probably bothers me most about her "fame" was that I never once saw a video of her that showed me a "happy" horse. Every time I saw her, she was in plain-as-day "Go away! Get out of here! I don't want you around! Bug out already! I want some peace! Leave me alone or I'm gonna bite/kick you!" mode. Yet everybody was always ooohing and awwwing and "Oh, ain't that just so cute!"-ing. It was all I could do to keep from screaming at the screen "Can't you damned idiots see she's not being cute, or fiesty, or whatever - she's stressing like a mad bastard, and trying to tell you to leave her the hell ALONE!?!?!?"
I have one of the 40+ club minis, her pasture buddy is a little more than half her age yet most people don't believe they're more than ten years ago or so.

Thumbelina did always appear to be pissed off at the world in general to me as well, nothing like what a normal mini like mine are that are always happy and friendly.

I have one of the 40+ club minis, her pasture buddy is a little more than half her age yet most people don't believe they're more than ten years ago or so.

Thumbelina did always appear to be pissed off at the world in general to me as well, nothing like what a normal mini like mine are that are always happy and friendly.
I have one, well over 30, that I have to feed mush. Doing fine though. Still runs around like a 2 year old.

I think the record is like 62, but many in the 40+ range. I think in general, with all things being equal, a pony lives a little longer than a horse.

Back