• Suddenly unable to log into your ZooVille account? This might be the reason why: CLICK HERE!

Lets Talk Manga Collections & Recommendations (not doujinshi)

EvaMentok

Tourist
Greetings people.

Hope you're having a splendid time.
I've already searched the forums and there's plenty of hentai/doujinshi stuff or very old threads that I do not wish to resurrect.

Instead, I'd much rather start a new thread talking about Manga and recommendation. (no doujinshi please)
Between my wife & I we have so many collections (books).
I'll do a little format, feel free to follow :) (i'll do a blank section for easy copy/paste)

1. The 1st Manga you owned:
2. The Manga you keep re-reading:
3. The Manga you are currently following (still being released):
4. The Manga that "moved/impacted" you the most:
5. The Manga that you recommend that needs to be read through at least once in your life:
6. List of your finished collection of Manga:
7. List of your unfinished collection of Manga:
8. Which Anime adaptation do you think is the best:
9. Is there a Manga collection you'd like to own:

Alright, here are my answers:

1. The 1st Manga you owned: Dragon Ball (Early 90s which includes Dragon Ball Z)
2. The Manga you keep re-reading: Berserk (Can't believe the Author has died on us, I'm so upset about this)
3. The Manga you are currently following (still being released): Vinland Saga (Absolutely Amazing), One-Punch Man (Fun)
4. The Manga that "moved/impacted" you the most: It's a tie between Fullmetal Alchemist & Battle Angel Alita
5. The Manga that you recommend that needs to be read through at least once in your life: Battle Royale (not for the faint of heart)
6. List of your finished collection of Manga:
Dragon Ball, Hellsing, Naruto, Bleach, Attack on Titan, Battle Royale, Fullmetal Alchemist, Battle Angel Alita (+ Last Order), Deathnote, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Assassination Classroom, Trigun (+ Maximum), Rurouni Kenshin, Cat's Eye
7. List of your unfinished collection of Manga: Dragon Ball Super (still releasing, actually he died recently... need to check on this), Vinland Saga (still releasing), One-Punch Man (still releasing), Berserk....... Damn it!!
8. Which Anime adaptation do you think is the best: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
9. Is there a Manga collection you'd like to own: City Hunter

Last edited:
Dragon Ball Super (still releasing, actually he died recently... need to check on this)
He never drew or wrote the story for super, he was just a consultant and designed a couple of the characters. He had turned over control to one of his proteges and chosen successor years ago.

He never drew or wrote the story for super, he was just a consultant and designed a couple of the characters. He had turned over control to one of his proteges and chosen successor years ago.

Interesting, I have a good chunk of Super books and it says story by Akira and art by Toyotarou. So not sure where you’re getting that info.

Also plenty of other official places saying it’s written by Akira…

A lot of good artist can draw Dragon Ball, but the story is his. That’s one of the reasons GT doesn’t exist for me.

Interesting, I have a good chunk of Super books and it says story by Akira and art by Toyotarou. So not sure where you’re getting that info.

Also plenty of other official places saying it’s written by Akira…

A lot of good artist can draw Dragon Ball, but the story is his. That’s one of the reasons GT doesn’t exist for me.
He set the basic plot points, but he hasn't been the primary since, I believe, Moro.

It's just like Roddenberry being listed as the creator of even new Trek series when he's been dead for 30 years. It's based off his original work so he gets the credit mention.

That's also why the anime differed from the manga and the anime in this case came first. He jotted down the general plot and other writers made the anime. Then he came after and directed the manga to be "more true to his vision".

Back