Its Poison - Fleas &Control In Relation to Dogs

QuantumHusky

Citizen of Zooville
This article is going to be difficult to write as there are a lot of differing opinions. It is going to be in a more digestible format than my other articles (links in profile). So let's keep the facts straight! No opinions here just science! I love my girls but in the end, we have to choose what is best for their health and I believe that there is a lot of misinformation rolling around regarding proper flea management and prevention as well as control. Luckily we are all Zoos here so I know I have open minds that are willing to take the time and be informed about something so important that really could be a life or death decision. So without delay here is my article on fleas, the prevention of, and what not to/ to do. Written with love <3 Enjoy!

Garlic as a Flea Repellant/ Supplement for dogs? ❌

So why can't dogs have garlic? Well, garlic and other members of the allium family, including onions, contain thiosulfate, which is toxic to dogs but not to humans. Thiosulfate causes oxidative damage to red blood cells, resulting in hemolytic anemia. Symptoms of anemia include pale mucous membranes, rapid breathing, lethargy, weakness, jaundice, and dark-colored urine.

What about Flea Collars? ❌

One of the most common (and dangerous) chemicals found in flea collars is Tetrachlorvinphos (TCVP), an organophosphate insecticide that works by interrupting a flea’s central nervous system. Unfortunately TCVP—which the EPA lists as a carcinogen—also wreaks havoc on the human central nervous system. Which shouldn’t come as a surprise, given that organophosphates are a central ingredient in several biological weapons, including nerve gas.

Okay okay, Quantum Husky How about Flea and Tick shampoo? ❌

The issue with these products is that they can cause hives, congestion, itching, extreme sensitivity, shock, respiratory distress, death, excessive (hyper) salivation, paw flicking, ear twitching, mild depression, vomiting, protracted vomiting, diarrhea, depression, incoordination, and muscle tremors.

So what options do I have?

There are several options instead of using poison that will leach into your dog.
The ones that work for me are!

Diatomaceous Earth FOOD GRADE
✅

Adult fleas may begin to die as quickly as four hours after contact with diatomaceous earth. The particles may kill some flea larvae as well, but it is not effective against flea eggs or pupae. Spreading this around your yard will help with fleas and other harmful bugs as well.

Dawn Dish Soap ✅

Surprisingly this common household product can be used safely on dogs that don't have any skin issues or skin-related conditions. Fleas have exoskeletons that allow them to float in water. Dawn (and other soaps like it) creates a kind of surfactant or surface tension, that will compromise the exoskeleton and make adult fleas sink. So essentially, the soap drowns the fleas.

WHAT IF I HAVE TO USE A MEDICATED PRODUCT TO CONTROL FLEAS IF THESE DON'T WORK?
Well PETA suggests that effective flea-control programs employ a multifaceted approach that treats the environment as well as the animal and I agree with them. Some suggestions are to make an effective natural insect repellent for dogs that can be applied daily, add five drops each of tea tree oil, citronella oil, rosemary oil, peppermint oil, and eucalyptus oil to one cup of water, shake it, and put it in a spray bottle. As well as using a gentle herbal shampoo that can be effective and can be used as often as once a week, although too frequent bathing can dry out animals’ skin. When shampooing, use warm water and begin with a ring of lather around the animal’s neck so that fleas cannot climb onto the animal’s face.

REMEMBER! It's important to treat your lawn for these unruly pests as well as vacuum rugs and furniture frequently and launder animals’ bed covers weekly, if necessary, during the flea season.

WHY ARE THESE THINGS I SHOULD CONSIDER WHEN WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING HAS BEEN WORKING ALL ALONG?
Well sadly we live in a "Human Centric" environment and a lot of the time people will overlook the safer route for the quicker lazy route. The fact that companies are getting away with some of the crap they do is dizzying. For example, thousands of pets are being harmed, according to federal documents by Seresto flea and tick collars with 1,698 related pet deaths. The EPA has received more than 75,000 incident reports related to the collars, including nearly 1,000 involving human harm, and yet the EPA appears to be turning a blind eye to this problem.

This IS INSANE! Always do your research on products and the chemicals within. Thanks for taking your time to read this article. Links to reference material below.

Last edited:
Here are my sources. I already knew this information working with doctors in the field in the past however I know you all like to see articles to back my statements up.

I just want to say that I have used Diatomaceous Earth on my lawn in the past and on my girl (a few years ago I spotted a few fleas) and the issue was resolved within a day. I don't personally have any flea issues where I live currently. It seems like they don't really show up so I have that going for me. But where I lived before it was a bit of an issue that was easily controlled by Diatomaceous Earth. I Hope This Helps Someone <3 ^_^

Last edited:
I just want to say that I have used Diatomaceous Earth on my lawn in the past and on my girl (a few years ago I spotted a few fleas) and the issue was resolved within a day. I don't personally have any flea issues where I live currently. It seems like they don't really show up so I have that going for me. But where I lived before it was a bit of an issue that was easily controlled by Diatomaceous Earth. I Hope This Helps Someone <3 ^_^

Its going to depend greatly on where you live, and the length of the flea season in the vicinity. If you get much rain....over half an inch a year is what I mean, you will have ZERO luck outdoors with Diatomaceous earth. It will sink below the level where it is available to work on a flea. Diatoms can work indoors up to a point, by dusting carpets. But youd better be able to tolerate being bitten after you put all the other repellents on your dog.
Its also going to depend on the basics of flea biology. You did not mention it, and it is important, so it appears you know nothing about it.

Fleas that bite dogs most commonly are cat fleas...and are usually CARRIED by squirrels. Fleas do not stay on a host for very long...they bite, lay an egg and split. The blood proteins are necessary for mama to create eggs. Flea eggs are sticky when first laid, but dry within a few hours and generally fall off the host. They tend, therefore, to gather most often where the host sleeps. Indoors, pet bedding and sleeping areas will be the hot spot. Washing the bedding in hot water will kill fleas in all their cycles...105 degrees is fatal for most insects, over time. Carpets can be shampooed with rental gear and HOT water as well.

By the way...I wouldnt pay much attention to anything PETA has to say...to them, the poor little flea is just as important as the great big doggie or kitty...or YOU.

Got a clue about the Life cycle, and why that makes fleas a problem? Here is the deal in a nutshell. Fleas go from an egg to a larva to a pupa to an adult
( complete metamorphosis) like some other insects. UNLIKE other insects, Fleas do NOT stop growing as adults. They may live two years, during which they will get better at biting undetected. They learn as they go. Thats important. It means that some will always survive.

As an egg, the flea is immobile, but that lasts only a matter of days. They hatch to become a tiny, wormlike larva. You would likely not think of a flea looking at it...it looks like a skinny dustbunny. But they cruise around eating anything organic they can find...outdoors it could be crunched up leaves, dead bug body parts...almost anything... Indoors, anything that can be caught in the crack of flooring, or ground into a carpet will do...as long as its organic.... These larvae will try to stay below the level of Crush in a rug, or in a crevice between floorboards, anything to keep from being squashed. They will cruise around for as much as 90 days, until theyre ready for the next stage.

The Pupal Stage is the problematic one. Dealing with this stage is either successful or you spend the rest of the season itching right along with your dog.

When a Flea is ready to go from Larva to Pupa, they find a quiet area and start spinning a cocoon. It is waterproof, largely temperature proof and secure. In this stage they can go dormant for up to 9 months in some species. NOTHING you can spray or do to them shy of heat treating a carpet will touch them. If they get INTO that cocoon, they ARE coming OUT and biting. Once they are fully developed, they can be dormant for months...just sitting in the cocoons and waiting it out. And they WILL wait.

When they are triggered, they come out of the cocoon like a heatseeking missile, and they hit what they aim at. If it's a bitable hide, they bite...if not, they will crawl, usually upwards, until they find one. The juvenile fleas tend to be clumsy biters...they hurt...Really. The bites itch later, but they're painful first. The victim knows hes been bitten. The biter will then jump off the host, looking for a resting place, to digest the blood, and a mate. 94 percent of the hatched females will be mated withing 38 hours. They will never be far from the chosen host.
Since they will lay as many as 40 eggs a day, the problem builds fast.

The simplest way to get rid of them is to call a pro. They know what they're doing. If you cant bring yourself to do that, or economics don't allow it, there are ways. But be aware...once you have an indoor infestation, it takes WORK to get them gone.

Fleas are triggered into coming out of the cocoon by humidity, temperature, CO² in the air and vibration...These together signal the presence of a living target host. No three will trigger...it has to be all of the above. This, coupled with the impermeable nature of the cocoon, is why fleas are so hard to kill off. So...to solutions.
First....Do NOT use anything on your dog or cats skin you do not know to be safe. Dishwashing liquids are wetting agents...they remove oils from skin and hair. That cute baby duck on the label may have been a victim of an oil spill, but your dog isnt covered with petroleum. Almost any suitable shampoo will work to keep your dog clean.And you do want to do that; one of a larval flea's favorite foods its the half digested blood mama excreted as what is called flea dirt. Pure protein and semi digested...yum.

Next thing...buy a flea comb. it has a coarse tooth and a fine tooth side, but fleas cannot slip between those teeth. Sit on the floor with your dog between your legs and a bowl of warm soapy water alongside you. Comb the dog...and as you spot fleas on the comb, knock them off into the soapy water. They will drown, and Dawn is perfect for such things. The nice thing about this method, aside from its effectiveness, is that your dog is getting ALL your attention for awhile. Never seen one complain yet. Flush the little buggers down the john.

Lastly....Get your vac out...and vaccuum every horizontal surface you can find, paying special attention to the places your critter sleeps. When youve finished, empty the cup or dump the bag.....OUTSIDE....or you'll have to chase them all over again. You'll need to do this every day for a while...get used to it.
Whatever method you try, vaccuuming daily is going to be part of it.

If you have a carpet that can be taken outside and hung on a line, you can beat it with a tennis racket for a bit...HARD. I used to make a lot of spring pocket money that way as a kid. The beating literally springs the larva eggs cocoons and adults off into the world they belong in. The sun on the rug wont hurt, either...Remember....if you use diatomaceous earth, you'll have to reapply it every time you vac. That gets expensive. It CAN be useful on upholstered furniture, dusted into the crevices where the cushions sit.

And STOP eating on the furniture. All those snack food crumbs down the seat backs create food for fleas, and other nasties, spiders particularly.

Yep...its long. But there is your SCIENCE, and there is your LEAST toxic method. There is no easy way. There are some more effective ways...but this is the easiest.

Last edited:
Revolution all the way, baby!
Tried the hippie method. My babies suffered greatly.
I'm with you @saddlebum66 , SCIENCE!

Back