• Suddenly unable to log into your ZooVille account? This might be the reason why: CLICK HERE!

Indigenous minorities

Macropos

Tourist
BANNED USER
Wondering, is anyone here from a indigenous (not immigrated) minority who lives in the "western" world, such as Native Americans, Inuits, Gypsies or the many ethnic minorities of Europe? My ancestors are of the Sami people who live in the north of Sweden and Norway, though our origins may be all the way down in Central Asia. My parents and other relatives want nothing to do with it, though, and there are few if any "admitted" Sami people in this part of the country, so i've been left to find everything out on my own.

I've often wondered to what extent this has shaped my view on things, including species and sexuality. It's common for people of Sami ancestry (as well as Native American, curiously) to speak of "genetic memory", that they were born with strange knowledge and instinctual behaviour that none of their relatives had, some didn't even know of their ancestry, but it seems to just "appear" in certain individuals after many generations, and i felt that fits exactly on me too.

However, trying to connect with Sami culture has been almost impossible for me outside of a few books, traditional paintings, clothes and music - which is very interesting and peculiar, and has recently been generously featured on Norwegian TV, bless them. Much of it is about animal spirits and a deep connection with nature, but unfortunately much of what is available to the public is poorly written and uninformed, so you have to look far to find good sources.

Since most of them are so assimilated, few even speak the original Sami languages (which i've been wanting to learn my entire life) or know much about their traditional worldview, which there isn't all that much knowledge about, since much of it was lost in the cultural assimilation and it also predated common literacy, so there are only few and fragmentary historical documents to go by. There are also rumors that many of them were into bestiality, even still today, but of course none would admit it.

The self-identified Sami people today are few (even in their native regions) and hard to get in touch with, though in the very last few years the situation has gotten slightly better and there are some Facebook groups and other sites for it now. Most of them only speak Norwegian though, and they're not interested in getting to know people online, or have any skill or ambition to distribute their knowledge to people who don't live there. I'm sure there are many more people of Sami ancestry living this far down in the country, but with the general materialism and small-mindedness of people here, they simply don't care about it, as they couldn't give a damn about traditional Swedish or general European culture either!

Anyone else with ancestry from a similar minority? Can you recognize some of the things i mentioned, do you feel in a similar way about how it might have shaped you, including your zoophilia?

I have a small percentage of Native American ancestry which most in my family suspected but never confirmed.
Have recently confirmed, it's gotten me more curious into that aspect of my ancestry as well.
The "genetic memory" which you mentioned has also gotten me thinking about some aspects of my being as well. I've always had a philosophy/spirituality that didn't quite fit the mold of the western world per se. And while it parallels that of more indigenous cultures (i.e. those not founded on the history of Judaism), it isn't necessarily from studying those cultures or philosophies. More like it's just come natural to me.

I'm heavily Native American and honestly a natural born horseman, and as a equine zoo I have noticed how equines have acted around me for a very long time.

I've often wondered to what extent this has shaped my view on things, including species and sexuality. It's common for people of Sami ancestry (as well as Native American, curiously) to speak of "genetic memory", that they were born with strange knowledge and instinctual behaviour that none of their relatives had, some didn't even know of their ancestry, but it seems to just "appear" in certain individuals after many generations, and i felt that fits exactly on me too.

it is known we inherit genetic behaviors to our offsprings

Back