Hummingbird

J

Jewelry Fish

As I was cleaning up outside today, I came across a fluffy little ball with what looked like a needle sticking out of it. At first I’d thought it was a poisonous caterpillar or something, but upon getting a closer look, I discovered it was a small emerald colored hummingbird, still as stone.

I find it a bit depressing that my first time getting a good look at such a beautiful creature was when he was dead. I don’t know what killed him, but it looked as though he’d passed only a few hours before I found him. It makes me sad to think about. The poor guy was just laying there with his eyes shut tight, curled up on the ground as if in his final moments he was trying to preserve what little life he had left.

I didn’t know the guy, but I still wish him all the best wherever he is now. I decided to bury him and let his body return to the earth. I wish I could do more for him and get him a space where the stray cats won’t try and dig him up, but it’s all I have at the moment.

Rest In Peace, little buddy. May you never feel suffering again. I’ll remember you.

Fun fact: hummingbirds need to eat every two hours or there metabolism would starve them.
My dad has droves of them in his backyard during spring and summer

Fun fact: hummingbirds need to eat every two hours or there metabolism would starve them.
My dad has droves of them in his backyard during spring and summer
Ah, maybe that’s what did it. The freeze here did kill all the flowers around. Poor guy

Back