• Suddenly unable to log into your ZooVille account? This might be the reason why: CLICK HERE!

How to gain more and more trust with his young mare?

GARY_FPS

Tourist
Hi, I'm new here and I wanted to know how to gain the trust of his mare in other way then grooming, petting or ride her.
PS thank you in advance.:)

Quality time. Train her to do stuff, with gentle non stressful methods. You two must learn to communicate, then the relationship can be magical. Spend as much time with her as you can.

IMHO, feeding has to be done carefully. Food is such a strong drive/motivator for some horses, it can backfire. I'm pretty sure I've heard of some of the bigger name trainers don't want to feed the horses they train, because it can effect their motivations too much. I'd recommend NOT using food during training, whatsoever. They get hyper focused on the treats.

What is a "his mare"? Feeding is a big one.
I'm bad at English sorry that's mine mare. She is grey but I think she is turning to white. I will send you a pic next time I have my phone charged
IMHO, feeding has to be done carefully. Food is such a strong drive/motivator for some horses, it can backfire. I'm pretty sure I've heard of some of the bigger name trainers don't want to feed the horses they train, because it can effect their motivations too much. I'd recommend NOT using food during training, whatsoever. They get hyper focused on the treats.
I agree that feeding and training shouldn't be done at the same time.

My first mare, I had time on my hands. Purchase a horse trailer and a vehicle that can pull it. Go places, do things. I went camping with her, trail riding, sometimes went to events that were horse friendly. It's also helpful if you are boarding at a stable, so you two can leave and not convince everyone at the stables that you're a weirdo that hangs out with his horse too much. If this was a human wife, you would be spending hours with her every day...eating, sleeping, watching TV, etc... She may not be into watching TV much but she is a social creature and the time spent with her will bond you two. Training..most horses are happy to have a wise, fair, compassionate leader and to be submissive to that leader.

My first mare, I had time on my hands. Purchase a horse trailer and a vehicle that can pull it. Go places, do things. I went camping with her, trail riding, sometimes went to events that were horse friendly. It's also helpful if you are boarding at a stable, so you two can leave and not convince everyone at the stables that you're a weirdo that hangs out with his horse too much. If this was a human wife, you would be spending hours with her every day...eating, sleeping, watching TV, etc... She may not be into watching TV much but she is a social creature and the time spent with her will bond you two. Training..most horses are happy to have a wise, fair, compassionate leader and to be submissive to that leader.
Thank you, she is in a stable and the only other stable there is in the building is the one in front of her so we are not anoyed by people. I also have a horse trailer but she refuse to go in we also tried with bigger one but she don't wants to go in. Any advises maybe?
Ps. We already tried the carrots and feed her when she's in but that didn't work.

Thank you, she is in a stable and the only other stable there is in the building is the one in front of her so we are not anoyed by people. I also have a horse trailer but she refuse to go in we also tried with bigger one but she don't wants to go in. Any advises maybe?
Ps. We already tried the carrots and feed her when she's in but that didn't work.
Not sure what breed you're working with but i work with quarter horses. Some people are comfortable parking there trailer in the pasture and feeding them in it so it becomes shelter and kind of a home. Some teach the trailer is almost a safe space outside of it is work and lunging exercises and inside is chill. A ramp is the only way some go in because of the jumping motion getting in requires. We have a few who go Adventure and will take you out getting in and some that require a firm slap on the rump.

Not sure what breed you're working with but i work with quarter horses. Some people are comfortable parking there trailer in the pasture and feeding them in it so it becomes shelter and kind of a home. Some teach the trailer is almost a safe space outside of it is work and lunging exercises and inside is chill. A ramp is the only way some go in because of the jumping motion getting in requires. We have a few who go Adventure and will take you out getting in and some that require a firm slap on the rump.
Thank you for you idea. I do have a ramp so she can get in and she is a selle français (I don't know if you say it like that in english).

Back