How the various "Like" clicks impact the reaction score.

UR20Z

Dumpster Diver
In case anyone cares -

I had a conversation with someone who was under the impression that the various "like" options other than thumb-up (the default if you just click on the Like button of a post) didn't help the reaction score. I personally never really thought about it. I knew it existed, but aside from that <shrug> Never really thought about it much until that apocalyptic thread that went berserk, then got clobbered. Heard a lot of good-natured groaning that buttloads of reaction score points had gone poof. Then I heard a variant of how the scores work from another person. Still didn't think all that much about it. Then another person was speculating about how it worked. This repeated (and slightly different each time) encounter with the idea that they might do different things to the reaction score got me curious, so I did some research. Here's what I did and how I did it, and what I came up with:

First off, I went through the various subforums looking for (and quickly found - it didn't take long) a post from a nick that looked to be an old, obviously abandoned "one-post-pete", so I wouldn't be "crossing paths" with anyone else who might be giving it a like/hate/whatever, and started playing around using the algorithm:

Hover on the avatar, note the current reaction score
Click the "like" widget to give a generic "thumbs up" like
Reload the page (score doesn't change until the page is reloaded - figured that out in the process), and hover on the avatar again. Note new score.
Click the "like" widget again, which, it turns out, does exactly what I expected - it "removes" the previous "like" (whatever flavor) you gave, and its associated score.
Reload page and check score again.
Repeat for each of the "flavors" of like, only hovering on the like until the selection list pops up, then click the desired icon, instead of just clicking the like.

Final results:
"LIKE" (thumb-up icon) = +1 to reaction score of poster when added, -1 when removed
"LOVE" (heart-eyed smiley) = same as "LIKE"
"HAHA" (ROTFL smiley) = same as "LIKE"
"WOW" (shocked smiley) = no change to reaction score whether adding or removing
"SAD" (frowny smiley) = same as "WOW"
"ANGRY" (pissed-off smiley) = same as "WOW"

Just thought y'all might like to know.

G.I. Joe cartoon tagline in 3...2...1... :geek:

(Note that these results are subject to change if zt (or whoever can do it, and assuming it can be done) - changes the values. This information was current as of 02-15-21)

Yep. I think Pillar had contributed to half my reaction score.

What does reaction score mean anyway?
The second half I got off a few mare videos I've posted

TL;DR for anyone too lazy to read the entire post. (You know who you are. Lol)

When it comes to your reaction score count on here:

(y) = +1 point added
:love: = +1 point added
:ROFLMAO: = +1 point added
😲 = 0 points added
🙁 = 0 points added
😡 = 0 points added

If you remove any of the positive reactions from a post you've reacted to, the reaction point goes away for the other user. If a mod/admin deletes a thread you've posted in, your reaction score is removed along with your posts and post count score from that deleted thread.

I vote for more reaction emotes +2
I believe if we are to add any new reactions we should add these four... but don't hold your breath on it! Lol

👎 For when you're not mad at a person's post, you're just disappointed with them.

🤨 For when you can't understand what in tarnation another user is babbling on about.

🙄 For when someone posts something so utterly stupid, you can't help but to just roll your eyes at them.

😈 For when someone posts something so deliciously evil that it's actually good. (That one can be a +1)

In case anyone cares -

I had a conversation with someone who was under the impression that the various "like" options other than thumb-up (the default if you just click on the Like button of a post) didn't help the reaction score. I personally never really thought about it. I knew it existed, but aside from that <shrug> Never really thought about it much until that apocalyptic thread that went berserk, then got clobbered. Heard a lot of good-natured groaning that buttloads of reaction score points had gone poof. Then I heard a variant of how the scores work from another person. Still didn't think all that much about it. Then another person was speculating about how it worked. This repeated (and slightly different each time) encounter with the idea that they might do different things to the reaction score got me curious, so I did some research. Here's what I did and how I did it, and what I came up with:

First off, I went through the various subforums looking for (and quickly found - it didn't take long) a post from a nick that looked to be an old, obviously abandoned "one-post-pete", so I wouldn't be "crossing paths" with anyone else who might be giving it a like/hate/whatever, and started playing around using the algorithm:

Reload the page (score doesn't change until the page is reloaded - figured that out in the process), and hover on the avatar again. Note new score.
Click the "like" widget again, which, it turns out, does exactly what I expected - it "removes" the previous "like" (whatever flavor) you gave, and its associated score.
Repeat for each of the "flavors" of like, only hovering on the like until the selection list pops up, then click the desired icon, instead of just clicking the like.

Final results:
"LIKE" (thumb-up icon) = +1 to reaction score of poster when added, -1 when removed

(Note that these results are subject to change if zt (or whoever can do it, and assuming it can be done) - changes the values. This information was current as of 02-15-21)
I think I like that quote!

I believe if we are to add any new reactions we should add these four... but don't hold your breath on it! Lol

🤨 For when you can't understand what in tarnation another user is babbling on about.

Needs to have a swarm of "?"s above it - can't find one in the smiley palette here, though I've been places where they have that "flavor" of smiley.

👎 For when you're not mad at a person's post, you're just disappointed with them.

🙄 For when someone posts something so utterly stupid, you can't help but to just roll your eyes at them.

😈 For when someone posts something so deliciously evil that it's actually good. (That one can be a +1)
Can we start a petition for this? I at least need a thumbs down in my reaction selection, lol.

In case anyone cares -

Final results:

Practical science ... I love that. (y)

Practical science ... I love that. (y)
What can I say? I think I've made it clear around these parts that I don't much give a damn about "feelz" - Facts trump speculation, "I think", "I wish", "I hope", and most of all "I feel". Facts can only be had when experimentation and observation are done. Everything else is guesswork, and worthless.

Back