Guess it's time to stop holding on to the past

shadow5473

Citizen of Zooville
I've avoided this section for awhile now, goodbyes are the hardest thing for me, especially with animals. Even trying to type this up I'm forming tears, but hey it's healthy to let it out for once. This is more of a personal thing, so forgive me if it gets long or doesn't make sense..idk..I'm not good at this stuff.

Bear, I never properly said goodbye to you and I'm so sorry about that. You were my world growing up, my best friend who I could come home after school and cry on from a rough day or just vent on while hiding my emotions from everyone else. I was allowed to be human around you, that alone made you the best companion ever. I remember the times you protected me from bullies, my step dad, even though you weren't exactly a cuddly Chow, you were always keeping a close eye on me. Thank you buddy, I really hope you're somewhere special.
Diesel, fuck this one hurts. You were the one who made me see why people love Danes so much, hell dogs in general. We got you from an old man that didn't treat you well, lol even put a massive hole in my dad's hand and almost made him lose it to infection just because you were scared and not used to love. I've never seen such heart in a dog. When I'd get home from work you were always there to greet me, paw at my door if I closed it on you, always want to cuddle and play. I can't put into worlds the bond I formed with you in such a short time. We only had you 8 months before you were taken in such a cruel way. Why does cancer have to exist?? I didn't have the courage to go with my dad to the hospital with you in your final hours. I'm so sorry, I didn't get to hug you one last time. I didn't get to express how much you meant to me. I knew something was wrong when you didn't greet me at the door anymore, when you were laying in spots you never laid in. I wish there was so much more I could of done for you, fuck I miss you and a piece of you will always be with me, I promise.
Bella, another Dane lol. You had personality, always being a brat because you wanted treats. Pushing everyone out of the way to get attention, never letting up. I remember you as this little puppy, an awkward horse almost lol, struggling to walk right. I wish I could have never left for 5 years with that girl, could have had more time with you. But I'm so thankful that I've always had such good, loving animals in my life. This is the first time I'm crying over you since you passed a few months ago, I just..I tried so hard to stay strong when your cancer got so bad you couldn't leave the couch, just breathing so heavily. I emotionally checked out when the vet came over to help you pass over. Once again, I couldn't be in the room when you went, I'm sorry hun. I really am. I don't have the strength for that stuff. I came in when everyone left the room, you were gone, I hugged you so tight, I then pet your face and made the mistake of running over your eye. That lifelessness..I just couldn't...but now I can properly say goodbye. I hope it's not too late.

I really love you all, the memories will stick with me forever, you'll never be replaced. I hope there's some form of afterlife, just so I could see you all again and tell you everything that's happened since then.

The pain that comes from the loss of our animal lovers in never easy. When one of our partners die it rips a big chunk of our hearts out, only time will help the heart regrow, but when another animal partner dies it rips another big chunk out. It's a vicious cycle, and one that we can never get used to. You merely remember the same pain it caused the last time around. When my two pass on I know it's going to devastate me and change my personality forever. But I plan to pass off my love to another dog in the future, as any dog deserves to feel this love. Any future dog won't be a replacement for any of my then pass animal lovers, but rather a continuation of the love I know I can give.

We as humans don't deserve domestic animals. They are the very definition of what "good" is, something us humans are incapable of achieving. Rest in peace to your former doggies. Their lives will live on through your memory of them.

My thoughts are with you, We have all been there, and for those that haven't it's only a matter of time. It is truly cruel that so many wonderful spirits have such short time with us. Every second is precious, and our lives are better for having had such amazing companions and lovers in them.

this is the one thing "we" zoos truly have in common. knowing what it feels like to lose someone we love not once, not twice....
gotta say, i can't imagine not being with them in their final moments.

I always think of the answer given by a young lad when his dog passed, that humans have to spend a lot of time learning how to live a good life and learn to love whereas dogs already know how to do this so they don't have to stay on this earth as long as we do, it doesn't make the pain any easier and one shouldn't learn to get over it, you just learn to get through it. Regardless of your belief, for however long your partner was with you, you were their world and, yes, you may have to say goodbye to more than one but that just means to more than one lucky four legged companion, they felt loved. Personally I like to think that when a sock goes missing or something isn't where you left it, there's a mischevious pupper checking in to make sure you're ok. Pain and tears, however awful when they come, are just a reminder of how much love is still there for the ones we have lost. Pesky onion ninjas, didn't see them coming....

Back