• Suddenly unable to log into your ZooVille account? This might be the reason why: CLICK HERE!

Growling in male dogs?

Hey guys,

Just had a quick question about male (unfixed) dogs, and their behavior when being played with. I'm very much a novice, so just wondering about consent and making sure the dog is willing.

Does growling indicate disinterest, as a rule? I tried playing with his sheath and balls (while he was laying down, after a walk so he wasn't full of energy) and he just gave me a throaty growl. I took my hands off and he stopped growling, and when I touched him again, same low throaty growl. Wasn't nipping or even moving away, he just laid there but still gave me a growl or two.

So just wondering if this is normal behavior when playing with dogs? Or is this him signaling disinterest in wanting to play?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

PS, he isn't my dog, but a friend's that I occasionally watch, but I see him pretty often in general. He's always been very comfortable with me thus far, so he does like me.

You actually stumbled on one of the best reasons to not sexually play with dogs you don't own. You don't know their individual body language like their owner would and can't tell as easily what he's comfortable with or when to stop. That could lead to you getting bitten or him getting hurt in his panic.

To answer your question, growling normally indicates that you should stop or risk getting bitten. In rarer cases it can mean something else because dogs all communicate a bit differently. One of my dogs growl when I hug him because that's how he shows excitement. None of my other dogs do that.
Thanks for the advice!

I do see him almost every day since his owner and I are neighbors and good friends, so I'm not genuinely worried about him hurting me, but I would never want to do anything that he doesn't want to do. He has exhibited sexual behavior with me before, humping me, trying to mount me, etc.

And I have touched his knot before (which made him hump into my hand, and a kiss afterwards, so I took it as him liking it), but this was the first time he gave me a growl. Which is why I just wanted to understand whether this was him saying NO or if this was just how male dogs behave when they're sexually aroused.

I have a long history with show breed dogs, I'm Brazilian and here it's a common breed, they're very aggressive, that even excites me, the last one he let me dominate as if he were my owner, I reached the record for him to put in 5 times in the same day, but the first one, which I had contact with in my childhood, growled at me, I insisted and he almost bit me, but he just gave a warning ?, anyway, something I learned from my experience is that there are ways to excite the dog to do this without actually needing to touch his hem, especially if the dog is territorial

I have a long history with show breed dogs, I'm Brazilian and here it's a common breed, they're very aggressive, that even excites me, the last one he let me dominate as if he were my owner, I reached the record for him to put in 5 times in the same day, but the first one, which I had contact with in my childhood, growled at me, I insisted and he almost bit me, but he just gave a warning ?, anyway, something I learned from my experience is that there are ways to excite the dog to do this without actually needing to touch his hem, especially if the dog is territorial
Thanks for the advice!

The thing is, I did feel his knot getting harder in my hand, but then he gave me a growl. So, I assume his body was enjoying my hand, but maybe he just wasn't in the mood at that point.

I think he just wasn’t in the mood. In my experience laying down isn’t much of a sexual position for male dogs, they need to feel a bit more in control of the situation

I think he just wasn’t in the mood. In my experience laying down isn’t much of a sexual position for male dogs, they need to feel a bit more in control of the situation
That makes sense! He was laying down after the walk and his sheath was just out there looking so damn inviting that I had to touch him a little haha. Will try it when he's standing next time, thanks for the tip!

If he's a Rottweiler it could just be the rotten rumble? Never had one so can't say but it's a thing. If previous experiences were positive then it might also be a "not now" response.
Not a rottie, no! He's a husky.

I think the general consensus is that it was just a "not now" response. I haven't had much time alone with him lately, so haven't had a chance to try again but hopefully he'll be more receptive to my advances ?

Hey guys,

Just had a quick question about male (unfixed) dogs, and their behavior when being played with. I'm very much a novice, so just wondering about consent and making sure the dog is willing.

Does growling indicate disinterest, as a rule? I tried playing with his sheath and balls (while he was laying down, after a walk so he wasn't full of energy) and he just gave me a throaty growl. I took my hands off and he stopped growling, and when I touched him again, same low throaty growl. Wasn't nipping or even moving away, he just laid there but still gave me a growl or two.

So just wondering if this is normal behavior when playing with dogs? Or is this him signaling disinterest in wanting to play?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

PS, he isn't my dog, but a friend's that I occasionally watch, but I see him pretty often in general. He's always been very comfortable with me thus far, so he does like me.
A) if hes growling, he doesn't like what youre doing.
B) He isn't yours to play with. Let him alone.

At best, you'll get him into trouble. At the worse end, you could get him put down or rehomed if he tries your game on his owner

Not a rottie, no! He's a husky.

I think the general consensus is that it was just a "not now" response. I haven't had much time alone with him lately, so haven't had a chance to try again but hopefully he'll be more receptive to my advances ?
The advice you're being given is from a group mof nits who are telling you what you want to hear. I seventy years on this planet, I have never heard a dog say, " Not Now" by Growling. The dog is NOT YOURS. Let him alone.

A) if hes growling, he doesn't like what youre doing.
B) He isn't yours to play with. Let him alone.

At best, you'll get him into trouble. At the worse end, you could get him put down or rehomed if he tries your game on his owner
I understand where you're coming from and I see why you're concerned.

But, to put you at ease, his owner is a fellow zoo, and we're kinda fwb's too. So, his owner is fully aware of me playing with him, and the 3 of us have played together a little too. Me and his owner are both new to this, so we're taking it very slow and making sure he's interested in what we're doing with him. We ONLY play with him when he is interested and wants to play.

As for the growling, I immediately backed off when he did it, and just gave him some pets before I drove us back to his place. He acted completely normal after that, and has been his usual, affectionate self to me. I haven't tocuhed him (sexually) since, and probably won't till his owner is back in town.

The advice you're being given is from a group mof nits who are telling you what you want to hear. I seventy years on this planet, I have never heard a dog say, " Not Now" by Growling. The dog is NOT YOURS. Let him alone.

Please see my other reply above this one.

As for us playing with him, every other time we have touched his knot, he has been very receptive. Like I said, neither I nor his owner would touch him when he's not interested. Thus far, he has liked being touched and has enjoyed our play time. I have known him and loved him for a long time, and I will always have his best interests in mind.

It's all about passivity and control, male dogs like to mount males to demonstrate dominance, if a dog has a dominant personality and is playful it's very easy to make him mount you, once my friend asked you to look after him for a few days of a large male dog with an explosive temperament, it was the best experience because I love being dominated by dogs, how did I get him to mount me? I played running and suddenly bent down, in this position of submission it is very quick for the dog to mount you, as I said I managed to get the knot 5 times in the same day with a dominant male

It's all about passivity and control, male dogs like to mount males to demonstrate dominance, if a dog has a dominant personality and is playful it's very easy to make him mount you, once my friend asked you to look after him for a few days of a large male dog with an explosive temperament, it was the best experience because I love being dominated by dogs, how did I get him to mount me? I played running and suddenly bent down, in this position of submission it is very quick for the dog to mount you, as I said I managed to get the knot 5 times in the same day with a dominant male

We're not quite there yet to start having him knot us, but hopefully we'll do it in the future soon!

Back