Giving Ear Rubs

Barb Dwyer

Tourist
This is one part of zoo-philia that has no sexual element. It's a way to an animal's heart ,and you can do it in front of anyone. It can become intensely intimate, and when an animal knows what you can do, it will come back for more.

Almost all mammals crave a massage of the temple between the eyes and the ears, and of the ears themselves. Everything from rats to Percherons will pause and lean into your rubbing. Equines will express affection for you by nodding and rubbing their face against you. You can do better than that, with your hands. Animals can groom each other with tongues and lips and teeth, but the work of your human fingers can amaze them.

Oh there are so many different shapes and sizes of ears out there. Any animal with erect ears uses them for signaling, so the muscles around them are important, and sensitive. You can give them any gentle massage technique from rubs to pinches to nail scratching. You can combine rubbing and pinching on an erect ear, or a long floppy hound's ear.

This could be anything from a quick passing touch, to a full embrace of the head. In many cases you will get the complete attention of the animal, to the point of being a brief trance state where nothing matters but their ears and your fingers. It's fun.

They usually love a probe into the ear but you have to be careful and gentle and slow. A thumb is good for this. There are so many different shapes and folds and channels to explore. Sometimes there is Unspecified Material, and your probing is cleaning it out. With some species you can really get into the skull, and by that point the animal has lost hearing in that ear, only hearing a rumble (do it to yourself) and the head tips to push against you. I once met a "mammoth" jenny and her ears were as long as my forearm. She LOVED a deep ear rub and it was almost like fisting to go down into those huge ears.

It's fun for the human, too. It's an opportunity to fondle and poke textures not found on a human body. It forms a bond, even if only for a moment. It can be as quick and casual as a handshake, or as long and slow and intimate as lovers embraced in each other. It can be part of a sexual embrace, like when you get oral and you give back with gentle rubbing.

It's another aspect of zoophilia that is not part of human interactions. People don't greet each other by rubbing their ears. It's a way to find pleasure in learning about your animal partners.

I love it when my boys come up to me wanting attention. They'll stick their head under my hand and thrust their head up to try and get me to pet them. I'll always pull my hand back and act offended which ends with a big dog head lying on my thigh or pushed against my chest. That always gets them all of the pets, scratches, and rubs they want. Especially if they give me the "look." Damn puppy eyes win every time.

Horses who want a head scritch will walk up and pry their nose between your torso and your arm, and raise your arm like This thing here, do something with it!

Yep, and butt scratches. Every quadruped I've met has had a problem with both ends of their body. No matter how flexible the are, the angles just don't work well for those two places and anyone willing to help with that problem is on the fast track to real friendship.

Ive found that (for dogs) placing your hand on their head with your palm around where their eye is, and then rub their nose with your thumb makes them instantly love you. I tried this with multiple dog and they always look like theyre in heaven. ❤

Oh yes, there was this one gelding who didn't really like me that much, but I once managed to catch him in a relaxed moment and start rubbing his ears, and he absolutely melted into me. I was using both hands and he was basically just resting his head in my groin for a really long while. It was one of the sweetest moments in my early years of discovering my sexuality.

Back