Giving Dogs Baths

Mr.Misc

Tourist
So, in my experience dogs hate getting baths. They begrudgingly get into the shower, their always trying to get out, and they generally don't seem comfortable the way humans might enjoy receiving a bath. This is mostly how I thought about dog baths when I was a kid. Nowadays, I've seen a lot of videos on the internet where owners are giving their pets baths, using brushes or minimal water, and they seem to be enjoying themselves. What are some tips or ways to give a dog a bath or shower that they seem to enjoy and how often should you give your pet or partner a bath?

For us bath time is actually quite enjoyable. Even the blow dryer.

I generally just get in the tub with them cause it's just easier, I have a shower head with a hose so I can take it down off the wall and move it around.

Use lukewarm water, not HOT water. Hot water absolutely strips all the things from their skin that keeps it healthy. They end up dried out, flakey and itchy. No fun at all.

Use a decent dog shampoo. Don't go cheap and don't use human soap. You might think soap is soap and it doesn't make a difference but it does. Human soap will dry out their skin and it's no good for their fur.

Personally I have two double coated dogs who shed pretty much year round and the greatest thing ever is the doggy blow dryer. I bought a cheap ass one off of Amazon for $60 and it's lasted 6 years so far. After a bath this is hands down the greatest thing ever to get them dry and even between baths its great to get out that loose undercoat. Just take em outside, put em up on the tailgate of the truck and blow em dry or blow out the undercoat.

get in the tub or shower with them...make sure the surface is non slip or put a mat down....been bathing my critters this way for 50 years and have yet to have an issue.

I use my shower for my pup, he is very food motivated. I will take some peanut butter and smear it on the tile for him. I get him all cleaned, while he happily licks away. :)

Like most interactions, it helps to set things up for a win rather than bracing yourself for resistance. Make it a pleasant experience, help them build positive associations with the tub/shower and reduce the chances of an unpleasant experience.
My dog will happily get in the shower if I ask her. To reduce the chances of her slipping and getting hurt, I put a mat over the wall of the tub for example. When we started I encouraged her to get in and out and when she was fine with that, turn on the water and let her check it out, let the water spray on the shower wall, etc until she was fine with being bathed. It can take a while at the start but pays off in the long run with a happy and clean companion.

My dogs are not too keen on baths. I only do it if they pick up a very unacceptable perfume somewhere.

I've got a single-coated dog and he ... has no problems with bathing - because i use warm or hot water and a special, oily, natural dog shampoo which keeps his skin healthy (of course it also smells nice) . Its all about how often you wash the dog, what you do exactly and how you treat the dog afterwards -- doggos tend to like things their owners like ... and they also tend to hate the things their owners hate. Meaning : if you actively express your hatred towards cleaning the dog ... well ...

I’ve bathed a dog once and let me tell you, it can go smoothly or it can go terribly depending on how you handle the situation. If you stay calm and communicate to the animal that everything is okay and talk softly to them, they will calm down and be more or less fine with it.

Bath time always goes well. It has actually never been an issue. I bath my animals about once a month if not longer. Generally when it becomes noticeable that there's a stink. I start by clipping/ trimming nails in the tub. Then I can just rinse it all down the drain with a detachable shower head on a hose. If you don't have one, I highly recommend getting one just for yourself! I start by rinsing, now is when the sad face comes on 😆 I use Mane 'n Tail shampoo. Usually scrub and rinse twice since the grime is generally pretty thick. Towel dry and use a blow dryer to speed up the process. Then the sad face is gone and they just want to RUN! Its like something internal was revved up and needs to be released. I generally end it with giving a treat to reinforce that bath time is a happy thing and ends with something tasty.

I've not had a bad bathtime. The boys will look quite pathetic at times so its not a super enjoyable experience but they do well regardless. I use Mane and Tail shampoo and they always smell so good for a couple days. Usually the dog smell comes back after running around outside wresting in the dirt. I have a shower head on a long hose which makes bath time much easier.

Back