Fixed dogs and sexuality of dog breeds

So I am curious about something. I may possibly be getting a rescue dog sometime in the future but since rescue dogs that you get at like spca are fixed I was curious about if certain breeds of male dogs are more likely to hump/mount when aroused via hand job even when they are fixed than other dog breeds. Or is it strictly a case by case basis. Do all dog breeds lose the urge to fuck when fixed with the rare exception or are there certain dog breeds that are more likely to lose their urge to fuck than other dog breeds when fixed

So I am curious about something. I may possibly be getting a rescue dog sometime in the future but since rescue dogs that you get at like spca are fixed I was curious about if certain breeds of male dogs are more likely to hump/mount when aroused via hand job even when they are fixed than other dog breeds. Or is it strictly a case by case basis. Do all dog breeds lose the urge to fuck when fixed with the rare exception or are there certain dog breeds that are more likely to lose their urge to fuck than other dog breeds when fixed

Some male dogs will retain interest and ability after being neutered but it would seem the vast majority do not.
I say this from personal experience. I sometimes feel like I won the lottery a few times over in this regard. I hope this particular form of luck persists for me until the end of my days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Handjobs can still feel pleasurable to a neutered dog. The standard rule still apply though watch their body language to be sure they are ok with you doing it. As for them wanting to mount that would be incredibly rare unless they had mated a few times before they were "broken." I knew a Border Collie that used to say hello by coming up and humping your leg. He got desexed and the owners were dismayed to find he didn't stop doing it. Once learnt a behaviour the dog enjoys doing or has become habitual will not just suddenly stop because their reproductive equipment is removed. But as a rule lower testosterone levels mean less interest in sexual activity.

My neighbors dog who was never with an animal or person before, will still hump even after being fixed. He will even go as far to knot as well

I have a make husky that is fixed, he will still let me run his penis area but won't let me near his tail, is that normal and did he still like being rubbed?

I have a make husky that is fixed, he will still let me run his penis area but won't let me near his tail, is that normal and did he still like being rubbed?
When you say his tail, do you mean his tail hole (ass) or that wagging thing. Most male dogs aren't overly into any anal stuff so if that is what you were suggesting, for dogs having your penis touched might be sexual but having your ass played with probably isn't. And even less so for a dog that no longer has any testicles.

If you were talking about the fuzzy appendage that seems to have a mind of it's own when the dog is excited well it is part of the spine so there can be a variety or reasons it might not be pleasant for it to be touched if it's been damaged at some point or someone used to tug on it or something, it's really hard to say without knowing the dogs history, they simply might not like it being handled.

I want to adopt a dog that will be my companion and if he wants sex he can have it but I’m concerned that he will not show interest if he’s altered. Is there a way to tell if a dog will still be interested in sex before I commit to him?

I want to adopt a dog that will be my companion and if he wants sex he can have it but I’m concerned that he will not show interest if he’s altered. Is there a way to tell if a dog will still be interested in sex before I commit to him?

Aside from him showing interest, none that I am aware of. One way that I am aware of that can at least rule out some of them is any male who was neutered before 2 years or so will be very unlikely to retain. I think some of it has to do with males who've gotten to experience sexual pleasure prior to being neutered, but my personal experience is fairly limited.

My neutered male really enjoys handjobs and will ask for them regularly, but he isn't capable of anything else. I do not know what age he was neutered. I certainly wouldn't expect any sort of mounting to be possible at all. But that's fine with me, I'm pretty fortunate that he even shows interest at all.

My answer would be to just get a dog that you feel connected to for nonsexual reasons and who fits your life. If you get lucky in terms of their libido, awesome, but don't expect to be able to do anywhere near what you can with an intact dog.

So the boy I’m looking at adopting is 4years old and is still intact. Problem is they require you to neuter. He definitely would be a perfect dog for my life but I feel bad and hate that I have to neuter him. I wonder if I can just do chemical castration and take the papers to the shelter and that be good enough.

Thanks for your information, I called and they said I can take him on my own to get him chemically castrated and that only lasts 6 months and he keeps his man hood. I wonder if that’s the best option.

It depends on the rescue org, some of the smaller ones will adopt males out the way they come in and some of the breed-specific rescues work much the same; with bitches it's far less likely.

altered animals can still have a sexuality. sexuality is in their brain, not their balls or vagina, but they can lose many functions of the altered genitals. thats all.
animals can still feel like mounting but that is not guaranteed.

animals can still consent to and enjoy other sexual attention like the way male human beings can enjoy receiving anal sex without getting a hardon. there is still much to feel so altered animals can enjoy receiving anal attention. males and females are mentally sexually aroused being mounted by males just because it is sexual activity even if they dont get physical sexual stimulation from it.
they can enjoy or tolerate it even if they are too big and might feel little or nothing physically. there is more to count on.

remember people say feeling sexual pleasure of the genitals during sex is not proof of consent? so that works both ways and admits there can be consent from altered animals for any sexual behavior.
AND people say animals can be mentally traumatized by sex but that also admits they can be mentally pleased by it as well.

So the boy I’m looking at adopting is 4years old and is still intact. Problem is they require you to neuter. He definitely would be a perfect dog for my life but I feel bad and hate that I have to neuter him. I wonder if I can just do chemical castration and take the papers to the shelter and that be good enough.
A vasectomy where the testicle are not removed but sperm is prevented from being ejaculated is the best way to get around things if they are insistent that he be neutered, it keeps is normal hormone levels and sex drive for you, but prevents him from having puppies for them.

Back