Finding a K9 companion

BlairGriffin

Tourist
Heyo beautiful people, I am looking for advice.
I will finally be in a home and financial position to be able to get a dog of my own again next year. I am just looking for advise about finding the right pup for me.
I am invested in getting them as a pup and raising them as a family pet and a lover. I am fully prepared that we won’t be proper lovers until they reach sexual maturity in a few years. This will be the second dog I’ve owned but my previous K9 partner was given to me by a friend when he was 4 and already mature and experienced. I have a lot of interest in the giant breeds and have the most sexual experience with them.
Advice about selecting breeds and breeders welcome. Thank you ☺️

You'd get better info searching on google and reading guides on this than anything someone can type up quickly. This forum is only the best place to ask when there are no other sources of information on the question. For example, any questions about sexual compatibility.

I like great danes because they have a higher level of attachment. They are known for health issues. Next time I might consider a dane-mastiff mix to get more genetic diversity (mutts tend to have less health issues) or a south african mastiff.

I only have experience with dutch breeders for shepherds (popular breed high in demand), so what i say is seen from that pov. Other countries and breeds might be different. With breeders be sure to visit them and see the to-be mother dogs and where the pups will grow up their first weeks. A good breeder will want to meet their pups new owners in person too. Then you can be placed on their waiting list for a nest with your preferred gender. Depending on their list you will get a pick from the litter or, if the list is long, a next litter (from another mom!). Make sure they don't let the dogs have several litters in short succession, the mom's aren't too old and all the papers are in order (health and disease tested etc). Realise this proces can take up quite some time too, half a year is nothing, so don't wait too long with looking for breeders.

Back