Favorite horse breed, in general?

I honestly can't say I have a favorite breed. What I appreciate and like depends entirely on the individual. What I like are those that have what I call the big three: beauty, brains and personality. I'm totally a mare person but I've interacted with some awesome geldings and stallions. Then there are the 'long ears' (donkeys, hinnies, mules) and exotic crosses. I've 'seen' virtually every breed adored and vilified based on totally biased subjective criteria.

I honestly can't say I have a favorite breed. What I appreciate and like depends entirely on the individual. What I like are those that have what I call the big three: beauty, brains and personality. I'm totally a mare person but I've interacted with some awesome geldings and stallions. Then there are the 'long ears' (donkeys, hinnies, mules) and exotic crosses. I've 'seen' virtually every breed adored and vilified based on totally biased subjective criteria.
With all things being equal, For me color and color patters make a difference for me. Chocolate palomino or a good gray with mixed black and white hairs. Both would need a to have long tail and mane and some bone. All black skin too. No pink anywhere.

1674627800970.png

born on a small farm, grew up with the heady smell of the horse and animals we had in the barn....enjoyed the cowboy westerns on tv and the movies with their horses, saddles, leathers, chaps and all...very manly and tough...unlike the whimps and weaklings you see in most movies today! I admired their strength, courage and endurance. For some reason, I was drawn not only to the cowboys and their gear, but also to those fine horses. I might not be able to love the cowboy, but I can certainly love his horse...so one thing lead to another and after some time and money, I had a horse I could love and the horse could love me in return. Time off I enjoy my wranglers, cowboy boots and hat, leather chaps and spurs. Spurs I never use, but what's a cowboy with spurs... So my vote goes to quarter horses (roans and chestnuts) with their big butts and powerful rumps... i wouldn't pass up a palomino if offered.

Hmm difficult question. I've had a miniature Shetland, an appaloosa, a standerbred, thoroughbred, new forest, and a clydexshire . All wonderful but I think Admire the heavies the most and quarterhorse and Australian stockhorse.

Mine for sure is a friesian most beautiful horse I've ever seen. I had the pleasure of messing around with a mare once, I was in love she was stunning.

Friesians and of course living on a farm, with the terrain conditions, the best suitable horse is my Boerperd stallion. I also like the Noriker breed and Warmblood breed.

Friesians for sure. I've been obsessed with them since middle school. I love solid black animals, and that long curly mane and feathering...

I love the way Drafts are - but I’d die if I ever played with one.

I love mini-stallions though as well. The ones that are perfectly proportioned as a regular horse. I plan on getting one in a few months.

I actually know nothing about horse breeds other than miniature horses are small. I did a quick google search but curly horses seem neat. Minis are nice for their size but I don't have a favorite breed yet. I have more of a favorite look, brown fur and white blaze on the nose bridge.

I'll be back once I learn more about breeds

I have always been a large fan of Gypsy Vanners, Fallabellas, and pretty much all of the heavy drafts.

I like a local breed we raise in my country. I am not going to give precise hints, but they are like a compact version of Percheros. They are so gentle, and careful. They are also stubborn as heck, but they are very selective about who to be stubborn against. Most important for me is they really crave love and company. Some of those around here will reach and groom you with their mouth as soon as they suspect you are in the mood.

To be honest, they aren't the most beautiful of the lot. Their beauty is the beauty of an old tractor from the 60s you still drive in your farm. It is not a great sight to look at and yet a single glimpse hints at the power which boils within.

Back