Easy Dog to Train

danelabshep

Lurker
Never been an owner before. I'm probably going to look in Craigslist to see if I can find an older dog that is intact that someone wants to give up. Is there any negative to doing this in regards to training etc etc?

Having never been an owner would it be easier to start with a fresh puppy and gain that experience?

In my opinion adopting an older dog has one very big disadvantage. While it is a noble act because you will provide a home for an older dog, you will see that dog die much sooner than if you start with a puppy. And it is quite devastating.

From the practical point of view that dog will already have some experience and life behind him and you will not know what he has gone through and what consequences it has. I would not recommend getting an adult dog to people without experience because it may be quite tricky to change the already established behaviors the dog may have.
Older age should not have much of an impact on the ability to learn though as long as you find a method that works with the dog.

in my experience, there's probably not a more grateful soul than that of an older dog who already gave up on hope. having to teach them stuff like garbage can is not the main source of food is nothing compared to what they can offer in return for sparking them back to life.

in my experience, there's probably not a more grateful soul than that of an older dog who already gave up on hope. having to teach them stuff like garbage can is not the main source of food is nothing compared to what they can offer in return for sparking them back to life.
I had a dog that I got when she was 18. I had her until she was 20. The other owners said she was vicious and they didn't know what was going on with her. Sadly the last owners had her as an outside dog and didn't really care about her quality of life. So I guess one day they looked outside while it was raining and the old owner tried calling her and she just sat there in the rain like she had finally given up on life. I have to say that she was probably one of the most violent dogs I have ever had when I first got her. However, after about two weeks when she realized someone cared and was actually trying to help her she had to be the most gentle, kind, and caring dog I have ever had. Sadly she passed away when she turned 20.

I had a dog that I got when she was 18. I had her until she was 20. The other owners said she was vicious and they didn't know what was going on with her. Sadly the last owners had her as an outside dog and didn't really care about her quality of life. So I guess one day they looked outside while it was raining and the old owner tried calling her and she just sat there in the rain like she had finally given up on life. I have to say that she was probably one of the most violent dogs I have ever had when I first got her. However, after about two weeks when she realized someone cared and was actually trying to help her she had to be the most gentle, kind, and caring dog I have ever had. Sadly she passed away when she turned 20.
my current leonberger boy is similar. well, he's only around 3 or 4 so not that old. he was an unwanted wedding gift and his "owners" apparently treated him as such. closed in a flat, no walks, completely non-socialized, doesn't know anything like strange ppl or other animals. he tried to go for my throat as a hello when i was taking him in. my girl was an immense help in his acclimatization here. at home he's super sweet and gentle and loves to be petted all day every day, walks are kinda difficult at times. especially when we encounter a person with a dog off leash, he still didn't really figure out how to react to these encounters.

Yeah I have some experience with dogs - my grandparents always had dogs growing up, my sister has a dog, my aunts and uncles had dogs. I have been around them so I am not going into it totally unfamiliar.

I have never had experience with a puppy to be honest with you and I know that puppies are time and work (worth the effort) I was kinda hoping to find a dog that needed a home and make him happy. That being said dog sitting versus actually owning a dog is a different responsibility

I'm probably going to look in Craigslist to see
Exorcise great caution doing so. A lot of craigslist animal listings are straight up fraud, and animal sales are actually against their ToS, though legitimate rehomings are allowed.

If only she coulda lived longer

Back