• Suddenly unable to log into your ZooVille account? This might be the reason why: CLICK HERE!

does anybody else love dumpster diving as a hobby?

I don't think we have Goodwill in Canada, I've been to one in the US tho. What's so special about their dumpsters?
well at least in certain parts of Texas there gold mines if they don't care if you dig in them others make a big deal over it, they basically throw away everything that doesn't sell on the shelves seems like

What're some of the things that you've found?
Albeit the wrong target, I will chime in, I have my entire cast iron pan set from diving, my vacuum cleaner I got back in the 2010's during heavy garbage day, I still use it as my favourite vacuum. back in the early days got the computer gear, tools.

and given I like to build, unlimited parts for all sorts of projects!

Isn't it sorta... disgusting tho? Did you find all this stuff mixed in with rotten food and used diapers? Does it freak people out when they catch you digging around their garbage? lol

It's crazy what people will throw away. If they wanted to get rid of their stuff they could've started a garage sale instead, or asked friends if they wanted anything they were getting rid of. You should start a youtube channel about how to find and make use of other people junk.
nope it takes some level of common sense and a quick visual analysis. Situational awareness as well. the old addage of "Leave it better than you found it" comes in too, for some reason people are happy to see you when the mess magicaly disapears every time you come around.

What're some of the things that you've found?
clocks computer mouses keyboards AC adapters decoration ornaments toys chairs I think ? bottles a lot of times there's clothes chords electronics knick knacks different things that just depends on the attitude of the shoppers in in the area,
people that are quick to call things junk generally they throw a lot of stuff away, lots of people prefer to dumpster dive at apartments and colleges ? middle class alleyways with tall wood fences all the way down them always have a lot of real expensive lucky stuff too

I found computers stereo systems working flat screen TVs lots of computer accessories lots of things and even people throw things away when they buy a new and improved version of that thing and they throw the old one away sometimes because they don't want to give it away to anybody ?

space heaters, fans, game controllers movies DVD players used to be VCRs, literally a bicycle once, bike parts! lamps, extension cords? and buckets really there's so many different things it's true they say you never know what you'll find, I found a metal sugar cookie ten full of all kinds of antique looking clothing buttons, i gifted that to my mother long time ago,
before the apartments I would have moved back to in my hometown got shut down I had the whole apartment filled up lining all the walls with all kinds of cool stuff I found, including 3 file cabinets, one of radio shack's customer service desks when they went out of business, I repurposed that is a computer desk, I'm always finding things but then I'm always giving everything away too, ? my lack of independence got a whole lot of my stuff thrown away because family members see it as junk too sometimes especially after my sister married someone 20 years older than her it likes honky tonk 11 years ? but other then that
I need a couple bar stools for my small kitchen island too...
yep I found a those before too I still remember when I found a whole ass nice table too ?

Isn't it sorta... disgusting tho? Did you find all this stuff mixed in with rotten food and used diapers? Does it freak people out when they catch you digging around their garbage? lol

It's crazy what people will throw away. If they wanted to get rid of their stuff they could've started a garage sale instead, or asked friends if they wanted anything they were getting rid of. You should start a youtube channel about how to find and make use of other people junk.
I'm actually subscribers to a few of them

I've dumpster dived, since i was 12, and after I found my very first stereo system you actually put bare wires from the speakers in it I never stopped to this day☮️

Who? You should post them so everyone in the thread can check them out.
mom the ebayer, Mike the scavenger, I think there's one he calls is channel himself grab it fast, there's lots lots more but nowadays I'm always looking at DIY content, at some point I'll have to look down my subscriptions

I would love to do it, but its considered illegal here in Oz and businesses keep their good stuff in locked bins or "company managed recycling bins". So taking from them is illegal.

I would love to do it, but its considered illegal here in Oz and businesses keep their good stuff in locked bins or "company managed recycling bins". So taking from them is illegal.
this was one of my favorite videos studying all of the etiquette about dumpster diving back in the day?

I used to work in the scrap metal business, from collecting scrap to owning a scrap yard and I loved going through the old stuff to see what I could find, use or modify to use. I love it.

you know if I didn't have so much anxiety' dumpster diving helps keep me sane big time, plus the anti-consumerism aspect of it
it just helps, also I've actually made blogs dumpster diving on my electric bicycle I won't post them here for anonymity sakes reasons but; yeah the concept of anonymity speaks for itself

you know if I didn't have so much anxiety' dumpster diving helps keep me sane big time, plus the anti-consumerism aspect of it
it just helps, also I've actually made blogs dumpster diving on my electric bicycle I won't post them here for anonymity sakes reasons but; yeah the concept of anonymity speaks for itself
I must admit, I do have permissions from a few retailers tgat allow me to go through their bins during the day, I mean electronic/homwares (Aussies know who they are) which is cool. But I know there is so much more out there. The official scrap yard business has killed it for us here, even though they pay absolutely nothing for what they collect. But as in any good business quotes:

"Thats just good business!"

☮️old drawings, i haven't made many, still looking for the rest of them

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1704163054496.jpg
    FB_IMG_1704163054496.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 3
  • FB_IMG_1704163048476.jpg
    FB_IMG_1704163048476.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 3
old video i forgot about,
(it's old though see upload date on it) I'd recommend doing this with a lectric xp 3.0 not the weakling over priced bike she used

Last edited:
Back