• Suddenly unable to log into your ZooVille account? This might be the reason why: CLICK HERE!

Dealing with matted hair

Doggyboy22

Zooville Settler
Hey, hope everyone is doing well. I was wondering does anyone have any advice/home remedies for dealing with severely matted hair? I've been recovering from a hand injury these past two weeks so haven't been able to stay up to date with my pup's grooming regimen and one of his ears is really bad!

Don’t use scissors! Most mats are super close to the skin and it’s very easy to cut your dog, especially working so close to his head where he can move quickly and stab himself! If you absolutely must cut it, a good set of clippers are the way to go, working them gently at skin level under the mat to remove everything without cutting the dog.

For working on the mat, keep it dry, and hold close to the base to keep it from pulling while you detangle it. It’s going to take a long time, but you should be able to tease quite a bit out with your fingers.

I don’t know what breed of dog you have, but if he’s double coated you might consider an undercoat rake in addition to his regular brushing. Those things work wonders on my dogs, and don’t pull or break the hairs like some of the marketed “de shedding” tools.

Don’t use scissors! Most mats are super close to the skin and it’s very easy to cut your dog, especially working so close to his head where he can move quickly and stab himself! If you absolutely must cut it, a good set of clippers are the way to go, working them gently at skin level under the mat to remove everything without cutting the dog.

For working on the mat, keep it dry, and hold close to the base to keep it from pulling while you detangle it. It’s going to take a long time, but you should be able to tease quite a bit out with your fingers.

I don’t know what breed of dog you have, but if he’s double coated you might consider an undercoat rake in addition to his regular brushing. Those things work wonders on my dogs, and don’t pull or break the hairs like some of the marketed “de shedding” tools.
Thank you very much for the advice Deagle and thanks for all that you do for the community.
Don't worry I'd never use scissors - wouldn't want to stab him! My fingers aren't touching the surface of it as it's dreaded quite badly and whenever I get close to his head with clippers he jerks his head very hard so can't get close with them. I think the buzzing sound excited him.

He's a show line cocker spaniel - love him to bits but those ears are a nightmare! :gsd_laughing:

Managed to trim it off eventually. I can't even break it apart at all with my fingers now that it's off of his fur! This thing is DENSE lol

Managed to trim it off eventually. I can't even break it apart at all with my fingers now that it's off of his fur! This thing is DENSE lol
Glad you got it off! It would only have gotten even more matted over time. Cocker ears are indeed something else. ❤️

Back