Central Asian Shepherd (Alabai)

Jester

Citizen of Zooville
This is more of an enquiry than anything.

All over the net, I see videos and pics of people showing off their Alabais. Usually doing everything they can to demonstrate how enormous the dogs are. Often boasting in the 100-120kg size. (Over 200lbs) even claims online of 135kg (297lb) record holder. But most of the pics/videos I see are of very small men standing with them to force the idea of size.
I'm just wondering... from those all over the globe. Surely someone from this group has to know of someone who has/breeds these scale tipping Alabai. Or is it a myth? Like the 200lb Kangals.
20210325_192023.jpg

Wikipedia claims this:
HeightDogs70 cm (28 in) Minimum
Bitches65 cm (26 in) Minimum
WeightDogs50 kg (110 lb) Minimum
Bitches40 kg (88 lb) Minimum

And has photos of these dogs is ordinary places.
I honestly don't believe them to be as big as the claims. More like actual dogs you see SOMETIMES reaching a healthy 130lbs. But these 200+ claims all seem to be from people like you see on zoo forums, saying their pitbull has a 10 inch cock. When its obviously closer to 6.

Alabai are false giants anyway. Around the same size as Kangals. Meaning the average range for males being 110-145lbs and 30-32 inches at the withers. The real big boys are the Turkish breeds above the Kangal. The Turkish Boz is like a Kangals big brother bigger, stronger, but still athletic. Males Averaging 120-190lbs and 28.5 - 35.5" at the withers.
Then you have the real "big daddy" the Malakli. Who are all size, more of a tank than an athlete. They weigh on average 150-260 lbs and stand at a 28-37" at the withers.... so now I know which one I really want.

Attachments

• 3dc58301e4fdd2f64d0ef4f06f76143f.jpg
    3dc58301e4fdd2f64d0ef4f06f76143f.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 9ec29515a96eee609bbbb96ee2e1c1aa.jpg
    9ec29515a96eee609bbbb96ee2e1c1aa.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 169

All over the net, I see videos and pics of people showing off their Alabais. Usually doing everything they can to demonstrate how enormous the dogs are. Often boasting in the 100-120kg size. (Over 200lbs) even claims online of 135kg (297lb) record holder. But most of the pics/videos I see are of very small men standing with them to force the idea of size.
I'm just wondering... from those all over the globe. Surely someone from this group has to know of someone who has/breeds these scale tipping Alabai. Or is it a myth? Like the 200lb Kangals.
View attachment 154489
I don't know anyone who has one myself...but speaking of kangals! I got myself a puppy <3. He is 45lbs at 4 months I'm excited for how big he is going to be.

i have first hand experience for 10+ years - they are not the easiest dogs as they are very primitive and work oriented
certainly a stay away breed if you dont have guard duty / cattle guard duty

Alabai are false giants anyway. Around the same size as Kangals. Meaning the average range for males being 110-145lbs and 30-32 inches at the withers. The real big boys are the Turkish breeds above the Kangal. The Turkish Boz is like a Kangals big brother bigger, stronger, but still athletic. Males Averaging 120-190lbs and 28.5 - 35.5" at the withers.
Then you have the real "big daddy" the Malakli. Who are all size, more of a tank than an athlete. They weigh on average 150-260 lbs and stand at a 28-37" at the withers.... so now I know which one I really want.
Good to know. Now wondering if anyone's got any photos showing off their Malakli size

Had one. He was my wife’s dog through and through. He had autoimmune issues and was diagnosed with lymphoma at 3 years old, made it to 4. I saw the scale hit 145, and a vet record at 151. Wife says he hit 162, which seemed possible given he spent more than a year on and off prednisone.

We got him from a reputable breeder.

He was truly majestic, and completely fearless. Awesome dog. Will get another.

Had one. He was my wife’s dog through and through. He had autoimmune issues and was diagnosed with lymphoma at 3 years old, made it to 4. I saw the scale hit 145, and a vet record at 151. Wife says he hit 162, which seemed possible given he spent more than a year on and off prednisone.

We got him from a reputable breeder.

He was truly majestic, and completely fearless. Awesome dog. Will get another.
Sorry to hear he left so soon. I hear they're awesome dogs.

View attachment 154489
I do know one alabai owner... he is up to the hype, 3y old and 80kg already (180 pounds), easily puts his paws on my shoulders when fully stretched and I'm not short... absurdly agile despite his size... one wolf kill also on his scoresheet, true protection to the sheep... foxes are like crackers to him... we get along well but most people are scared of him... 🙃

There are plenty of Central Asian shepherd groups on facebook if your interested in seeing just how enormous these beasts get.
These are not for any one but most experienced owners of protection dogs.

I also wonder myself sometimes about these claims of dogs weighing in at some astronomical figures. I can’t help but wonder if they are actually big dogs or just overweight, in some cases? I mean, there’s a difference between a giant dog and a fat dog.

I also wonder myself sometimes about these claims of dogs weighing in at some astronomical figures. I can’t help but wonder if they are actually big dogs or just overweight, in some cases? I mean, there’s a difference between a giant dog and a fat dog.
i have yet to see an overweight CAS, i believe it is because 90% of them are not house dogs and live rougher lives.
Underweight CAS are much more common unfortunately.
90kg CAS is not uncommon and they are fit with average age 14 years..

i have yet to see an overweight CAS, i believe it is because 90% of them are not house dogs and live rougher lives.
Underweight CAS are much more common unfortunately.
90kg CAS is not uncommon and they are fit with average age 14 years..
Well, perhaps that model fits this specific breed we are discussing here, but on the general whole, at least in the US, the more likely cause of an overly heavy dog is obesity. I am in no way trying to come down on Central Asian Shepherds, their owners, or your extensive knowledge of both.

Back