Akita Inu as a first dog breed

DoggoHorsey

Zooville Settler
Hi, I was wondering what do you think about Akita Inus as a first dog breed?
I fell in love with this breed when I was a kid and I really want one in the future.
I've visited owners already to talk about it a bit and even visited a person's dog breeding house (I don't know how it's called in english)
Of course as first I've always wanted a dog as a best friend, a part of the family it's the most important things.
I don't know if someone owns Akitas here and if some of you did have sexual intercourse with it? Especially males.

I highly doubt that Akitas are dogs suited for beginners. They are very strong willed and independent dogs. But... I've never owned one, so, an advice from a real owner would be more appropriate 🤔

Quite a demanding breed and they are not for everyone, especially not for beginners. You will certainly enjoy it with a labrador or a GSD 🤝

I personally love the more independent minded breeds, but I've found that "training" them is not the way to go, but rather really devoting a lot of time, working with their own natural curiosity, and developing a bond yields much better results, respect, and personality.

They are strong willed and really respond well to not being "suppressed", which I firmly believe "training" does.

I've discovered that if you positively interact with them and let them take some initiative while you provide guidance, that when you want to teach them something, that they're "all ears", and really apply themselves in ways that would surprise you.

With my last two (the first of which more or less taught me this method of interacting), I never "trained" them, but yet without ever having to teach them to sit or lay down, or whatever, the first time I asked them to sit or lay down, they just did it.

Also, potty training. With my current one, that consisted of telling him exactly once, to not do that inside, and to do it outside. The first one was more or less the same way.

Essentially, they learned plain English and I could tell plenty of stories to back that claim up.

Nope.

Never.

Do NOT. Not as a first dog. I do not recommend this at all. They are dominant and demanding, headstrong, can be aggressive, tend to cling to one person and can see others as a threat ESPECIALLY children, cats, smaller dogs. Prey, essentially, to the hunting breed Akita.

American Akita or Japanese Akita, I recommend neither for a first time owner.

I'll also mention I don't agree with German Shepherds as a first dog like said above. Stick with something more easily trainable, amicable to people, and with a lower (aggressive) prey drive like a Lab, Golden, or even some Collies if you're an active type.

All in all, Akita are terrible first time dogs, and downright dangerous in the wrong hands.

Nope.

Never.

Do NOT. Not as a first dog. I do not recommend this at all. They are dominant and demanding, headstrong, can be aggressive, tend to cling to one person and can see others as a threat ESPECIALLY children, cats, smaller dogs. Prey, essentially, to the hunting breed Akita.

I'll also mention I don't agree with German Shepherds as a first dog like said above. Stick with something more easily trainable, amicable to people, and with a lower (aggressive) prey drive like a Lab, Golden, or even some Collies if you're an active type.

All in all, Akita are terrible first time dogs, and downright dangerous in the wrong hands.
I'm not a sportive person, I live in an appartment with a cat. And I prefer big dogs over tiny dogs. So I don't know to be honest which one could fit me :|

I'm not a sportive person, I live in an appartment with a cat. And I prefer big dogs over tiny dogs. So I don't know to be honest which one could fit me :|
Absolutely not an Akita that's for sure.

Look into something like a Saint Bernard. Huge and expensive, and can have short life spans with health problems, but they can live in smaller environments fine with proper exercise, and I don't think they're really apt to chase cats, but I haven't known many personally. They can be rather excitable, but both Bernards and Mastiffs are pretty chill in smaller homes.

Ultimately get a dog to fit your life, not a dog to fit what you want, especially because you think it's 'sexy'. You might end up having to deal with a medium size or small size dog, or none at all, if nothing especially fits. It's the pet's needs first, after all.

Good luck <3 Let me know if you need more advice.

Look into something like a Saint Bernard. Huge and expensive, and can have short life spans with health problems, but they can live in smaller environments fine with proper exercise, and I don't think they're really apt to chase cats, but I haven't known many personally. They can be rather excitable, but both Bernards and Mastiffs are pretty chill in smaller homes.

Ultimately get a dog to fit your life, not a dog to fit what you want, especially because you think it's 'sexy'. You might end up having to deal with a medium size or small size dog, or none at all, if nothing especially fits. It's the pet's needs first, after all.

This!

As an aside I hope I don't sound mean or harsh it's not my intention :c

Just trying to really get it through to you that it's not a good idea, wouldn't want to see someone get hurt.

Nope.

Never.

My first bedroom encounter was with a German Shepherd/husky/wolf cross, although he wasn't my first dog as a whole.

I totally agree with every point you said, but at the same time, if you know body language and really have a lot of time to spend with them, work with them, and bond (and forget "training" with them, in my experience, they're too smart for that and it just pisses them off. I'd much rather just guide their own curiosity, and found that they soak up a lot more doing it that way) with them, OMG the absolute best dogs I've ever had, but again, I think it takes someone that has taken a lot of time to understand them.

People were scared of him, because he growled, but didn't understand that not all growls are created equal. Most of his growls were just protests! Just him communicating with me because I allowed him to protest. In fact, I encouraged it, and provided that whatever he was protesting about didn't involve his safety, I let him have his way.

On the same token, if it did involve his safety I could just tell him so, and he would respect it..

Amazing how he would give respect as long as he got respect. I really believe he understood that I treated him as an equal, and totally respected that I did.

Yeah I don't know about that tbh for now ^^'

So yeah what would you all recommand as a first dog breed? There's more breeds that I like but I think there's always something that could go wrong with my life style it's frustrating :(

(Xolo dogs, Australian shepherds, Greyhounds, Border collies, Huskies ect...) Mostly medium/large dogs.

For small dogs I love Basenjis but it's really small tbh.

As an aside I hope I don't sound mean or harsh it's not my intention :c

Just trying to really get it through to you that it's not a good idea, wouldn't want to see someone get hurt.
No it's okay! I still hope to have one, one day, maybe not as a first dog

Good luck , hope you have made a will and have unlimited money for grooming, training, own your own house.

I had a crush on one named judge. His owner was a former dog breeder and knew how to handle him. His cock was the size of my arm. Owner had a nice tool too. Sadly it didn't work out because the owner had a stipulation that I be a live in slave. No job, no friends, no life. Just a litteral slave on his farm. Sounds great huh? In reality it sure could be at first, or on the weekends. But the rest of my life...yea right, what happens when I get sick and you get thrown out with the trash.

No, there were some red flags with that guy. I miss judge though 😭. He was 200 lbs of muscle. I was 125 at the time. It was absolutely wild. I ender up referring a friend from BF. Who knows what even happened to him. Probably still there locked in Chasity chained up as a breeding bitch.

Id be a lier if I said I don't still fantasies about the life I left behind. I know I made the right choice but damn...

Hi, I was wondering what do you think about Akita Inus as a first dog breed?
I fell in love with this breed when I was a kid and I really want one in the future.
I've visited owners already to talk about it a bit and even visited a person's dog breeding house (I don't know how it's called in english)
Of course as first I've always wanted a dog as a best friend, a part of the family it's the most important things.
I don't know if someone owns Akitas here and if some of you did have sexual intercourse with it? Especially males.

I think any dog breed can be a first dog breed if you're well researched and know that the breed matches your lifestyle and you can handle it. More demanding breeds will take more research and dedication. Does a primitive minded 110lb guard dog prone to dog aggression appeal to you?

If not, maybe look at some of the easier spitz breeds like Samoyeds and Eurasiers. I see your interested in huskies, a well bred showline husky can still be a lot of dog still but they can make good companions too and are less of a liability than an Akita.

Could also look into other fluffy large breeds like golden retrievers, showline German shepherds, shiloh shepherds, Bernese mountain dogs, and rough collies.

Back