A Suspect Killer : What Is In Your Dog's Water Bowl?

QuantumHusky

Citizen of Zooville
So a lot of people will fill the boul and put it down without a thought. Now, this can be fine. I ask the question though what happens if you do this constantly over a period of time. What a lot of people don't realize is that if you never or sparsely clean the water boul it will start to build bacteria, algae, and sometimes an oozing clear slime. This my friends are called a Biofilm and it's a common slime that’s poisoning your loved ones. So what is contained in these biofilms?
  • Serratia marcescens (the pink film you see in bowls, shower curtains, and other wet areas)
  • E.coli
  • Candida albicans
  • Chlamydia pneumoniae
  • Borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme disease)
  • Clostridium difficile (the most common cause of human GI infection and a growing epidemic)
  • Clostridium perfringens
  • Helicobacter pylori (causes human stomach ulcers and gastritis)
  • Klebsiella pneumoniae
  • Legionella pneumophila
  • Listeria monocytogenes
  • Pseudomonas aeruginosa
  • Salmonella typhimurium
  • Staphylococcus aureus
  • Staphylococcus epidermidis
  • Vibrio cholerae (some strains cause the disease cholera)
  • and many more (including those causing diverse chronic, debilitating human illnesses)

The fact that we can prevent major health conditions in our pets simply by keeping their bowls and toys clean and sterile is sobering. It’s a little bit of effort for such a large return! So friends remember to keep the water bouls clean to keep our loved ones safe and happy!

Well. To be honest I do wash his bowl out regularly, and I knew it was for hygiene reasons...but I certainly did not know all of the above so thank you for sharing

Let me know if this helped inform you or if you already knew that this was a thing!
Oh, I already knew. I wash out my doggy girl's food/water bowls every time I refill them. They're usually thoroughly rinsed out multiple times a day. I also usually toss them into the dish pile when I do the dishes. But thanks for posting about it. It's good information for those that don't know.

Do you have a source for this? At least one of the germs listed is not something that lives in water at all, and many of these cause diseases in humans but not recorded to in dogs.

Do you have a source for this? At least one of the germs listed is not something that lives in water at all, and many of these cause diseases in humans but not recorded to in dogs.
I was wondering about that too as many animals in my neighborhood drink random puddles despite our best efforts.

I just figured this is something that people should be aware of.

I just figured this is something that people should be aware of.
That biofilm shit is hard to get off too when it sets in

One of them exist on human skin pretty commonly, so washing it with your hands would get it there anyways. In fact a lot of these diseases are relatively common in the environment. Your dog is more likely to drag them to you than to feel much ill of its own, which should probably be the actual lesson here.

Did some more digging with scientific sources and consensus seems to be that bowls should be cleaned often; food bowls after each meal and water bowls every 1-3 days. The bacteria that person (in the article) called out are not all correct for food and water, but bacteria are a concern after a while!

Thanks QuantumHusky for the info!

Yours must be much smaller and more portable as mine is way too big for a dish washer.
Yah... I still can't figure out a way to fit a hundred gallon rubbermaid tank into the dishwasher...

But then, my "dogs" come in at 15 hands and up, and go 1200-1800 pounds, depending on which one you're looking at...

Me either, so I use my steam cleaner on them to kill any and everything that might be trying to grow in my horses water tubs.
I generally go with the "scrub the bejeezus out of 'em, rinse with water, then rinse again with a quart or so of clorox (no scents, "splashless", or any of the other stupid bullshit gimmicks - just plain old clorox) before dumping out the clorox and letting them fill. The ones I'm dealing with currently *LOVE* the dumped clorox rinse - They'll stand there licking it for as long as you let 'em. (And before anybody starts freaking, hit the brakes and take a chill pill. Standard sodium hypochlorite bleach (which is ALMOST all of the brands of jug-bleach you can buy) breaks down into water, salt, and molecular oxygen as it does what it's supposed to do. It does so even faster when exposed to direct sunlight)

I keep all of my dogs things clean, but that doesn't stop them from drinking runoff from the cows pen and licking, what I'm hoping is mud, off of the pig's noses out at my folk's farm.

Also, don't forget to elevate the bowl to lower the risk of bloat. Especially for large canine companions. I'm sure most of you already do.

Back