• Suddenly unable to log into your ZooVille account? This might be the reason why: CLICK HERE!

A New Zoo's First Breed Recommendations (Request)

I'll make my introduction with the fact that this dog will likely be a companion and I'll definitely chicken out and just love the thing like all dogs I've had before... BUT I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested. The only problem is the laundry list of requirements for this dog, as it will be living in a specific environment, so I wished to ask the "experts" on what breed of dog you would recommend.

First and foremost, I'm looking for an XL breed or XXL breed male dog that has low prey drive/ is able to grow up with cats that are very dog friendly. They will pester him constantly and want to sleep on him

Second, the dog should be able to protect livestock, namely chickens, goats, pigs, etc. We don't have any horses, but my wife is considering a mini.

Lastly big droolers is not... preferred. The less drool the better (which I understand is oxymoronic for massive breeds)
And the optional "bonus" is I'm looking for a dog with a knot that would most likely split a normal person in half. The wife is a size queen at heart, and im a testament to that. She likes big guys, big toys and... big dogs?
Anyway, the breed I'm looking into most is a Great Pyrenees, but that's tentative. Please let me know your advice!

I'm not an expert but you may need some kind of mix breed to tick all those boxes. I would say cane Corso but as far as I've seen they don't do well with birds. Mine is fine with cats but birds are a no go and she normally wouldn't hurt a fly.

I was saying Great Pyrenees over and over in my head as I was reading this, and then yeah, you've acknowledged that. I may pick one myself in the future. But there are other livestock guardian dogs you might want to look into. Low prey drive is a difficult one.
Hey mate, I asked a similar question and my ideal breed also needs to tick similar boxes to yours. Also into big breeds, non - drooling and I work outdoors with people and other animals too. Maybe some of the dogs people suggested to me can help you.

Edit: I particularly find Beaucerons really appealing and only learnt about the breed after it was suggested to me. Maybe that's the one for you? Would love one but unfortunately I can't find puppies anywhere in my country. ?

Hey mate, I asked a similar question and my ideal breed also needs to tick similar boxes to yours. Also into big breeds, non - drooling and I work outdoors with people and other animals too. Maybe some of the dogs people suggested to me can help you.

Edit: I particularly find Beaucerons really appealing and only learnt about the breed after it was suggested to me. Maybe that's the one for you? Would love one but unfortunately I can't find puppies anywhere in my country. ?

Absolutely beautiful dog you suggested. I'll look into them, your advice is much appreciated! If they were bigger I'd 100% jump on it, provided they also fit the other "requirements"
I was saying Great Pyrenees over and over in my head as I was reading this, and then yeah, you've acknowledged that. I may pick one myself in the future. But there are other livestock guardian dogs you might want to look into. Low prey drive is a difficult one.
Agreed, low prey drive is a massive outlier in the dogs im looking into, and I realize that a puppy brought up with cats is likely to deviate from a breeds standards, but I'd rather play it safe, as these cats have ZERO sense of personal space for dogs.
I'm not an expert but you may need some kind of mix breed to tick all those boxes. I would say cane Corso but as far as I've seen they don't do well with birds. Mine is fine with cats but birds are a no go and she normally wouldn't hurt a fly.
Cane corso... might work, as the chickens will technically be in an inner fenced section. If I do my job, then canines (read as yotes) shouldn't be able to get to them, but then neither would the guard dog. I'll look into that! Thanks!!

Back