3D Modeling Software

aruss

Tourist
I've been experimenting with platinum silicone for a while and I've decided to design and make my own toy(s). Was wondering what modeling software y'all have used and if you could mention pros/cons :)

If you want a great, in-depth 3d modelling software, I recommend Blender. However, learning everything about it can be difficult.
Pros: Open source, in-depth 3d software, FREE!
Cons: Difficult to learn

If you would like to start 3d modeling using a simple online tool (as to preserve space on a computer for example), there is a site called Tinkercad that is able to make STL files for 3d printers, laser cutters, etc.
Pros: Simple, large user-base, easy to learn, free
Cons: Simple shapes, little customization options.

I use tinkercad myself for 3d modeling, but really the correct software comes down to the user. Try a couple, and see what you like! I wish you luck, keep me updated on progress!

If you want a great, in-depth 3d modelling software, I recommend Blender. However, learning everything about it can be difficult.
Pros: Open source, in-depth 3d software, FREE!
Cons: Difficult to learn

If you would like to start 3d modeling using a simple online tool (as to preserve space on a computer for example), there is a site called Tinkercad that is able to make STL files for 3d printers, laser cutters, etc.
Pros: Simple, large user-base, easy to learn, free
Cons: Simple shapes, little customization options.

I use tinkercad myself for 3d modeling, but really the correct software comes down to the user. Try a couple, and see what you like! I wish you luck, keep me updated on progress!
Thanks for the tips! I was just looking at blender, seems very powerful!

You might also try Meshmixer if you like a more sculpting focused option.

Zbrush I've heard is pretty good as well but it is not freeware.

Are you planning on doing the modelling from scratch? There is also a entire thread dedicated to live casting:

I've been experimenting with platinum silicone for a while and I've decided to design and make my own toy(s). Was wondering what modeling software y'all have used and if you could mention pros/cons :)
I choose AutoCAD Fusion 360. There is a free version. With YT you can get good enough cores and do what you want within 1-2 hours

Back