I finally decided to get a puppy, and had to put him down in the first week of owning him...

Weckles

Tourist
For months I debated on getting one. I went through a traumatic break up at the beginning of last year and together we had 2 dogs. 1 was his from before me and the other was one he got while I lived with him. Honestly, I grew incredibly attached to them so when I did get settled where I moved, I decided to get a cat as...I just wanted some companionship and didn't want a dog just yet.

Around November I started looking at puppies. I finally felt comfortable enough to get a dog again. I was home enough for a puppy, I had the money aside in case something needed to be taken care of for him...I finally felt ready.

I talked to countless people, multiple scammers from different sites, a few decent choices that I ultimately passed up because they weren't what I wanted and I knew what I wanted roughly. Then I came across this man selling some puppies and after talking on and off about possibly getting one for a few hundred dollars, he finally reached out to me saying he would give me the last one available for free.

I knew it was too good to be true, but I hoped for the best and agreed to pick him up the next day.

I was busy the first weekend I got him and had my sister watch him for me until I was done, honestly watching my ex's dogs - I just didn't feel comfortable bringing a puppy around them and I also didn't want to stress the new puppy out. But I jumped at the chance of owning a dog myself again. Sister was perfectly happy and okay with watching him for me; she has 2 dogs of her own and I had hoped they would get along.

I got to him on Monday, and he was just this lively little thing. Happy as can be. I gave him a bunch of toys I bought him and his collar and tags. Honestly his favorite thing to do for those first few days was lay beside me when I was working and go to town on a little bone. He finally learned how to go down stairs, understood what potty meant and had 1 single accident in the house when he was well. I had been teaching him how to sit, and it was a 50/50 chance he'd do it.

Then Thursday I had to do something and sent him to my sister's for a couple hours...I came back to a different dog. He was sleepy, didn't want food or water; as the days went on he got worse and worse, eventually passing blood and vomiting constantly. I assumed the worst and knew I was right. I couldn't get him to a vet yesterday, not even the emergency vets had time but I did today and he was in organ failure. They assume his liver was shutting down and causing everything else to just...stop working.

I chose the right thing to do and ended his suffering. Part of me wanted to take him home and hope for the best but...let's be real...a 4 month old puppy who can't even stand anymore or eat had no fighting chance.

I'm hurt to say the least. Incredibly bothered by the events and as much as I really really wanted a dog again, I just don't think I can manage right now. I will one day, but right now just isn't that time.

Excuse me while I go cuddle my cat who finally had grown to liking him. I think he'll get extra treats and cuddles tonight.

I'll miss you my little Zeus. You were very loved and I hope I do see you again.

For months I debated on getting one. I went through a traumatic break up at the beginning of last year and together we had 2 dogs. 1 was his from before me and the other was one he got while I lived with him. Honestly, I grew incredibly attached to them so when I did get settled where I moved, I decided to get a cat as...I just wanted some companionship and didn't want a dog just yet.

Around November I started looking at puppies. I finally felt comfortable enough to get a dog again. I was home enough for a puppy, I had the money aside in case something needed to be taken care of for him...I finally felt ready.

I talked to countless people, multiple scammers from different sites, a few decent choices that I ultimately passed up because they weren't what I wanted and I knew what I wanted roughly. Then I came across this man selling some puppies and after talking on and off about possibly getting one for a few hundred dollars, he finally reached out to me saying he would give me the last one available for free.

I knew it was too good to be true, but I hoped for the best and agreed to pick him up the next day.

I was busy the first weekend I got him and had my sister watch him for me until I was done, honestly watching my ex's dogs - I just didn't feel comfortable bringing a puppy around them and I also didn't want to stress the new puppy out. But I jumped at the chance of owning a dog myself again. Sister was perfectly happy and okay with watching him for me; she has 2 dogs of her own and I had hoped they would get along.

I got to him on Monday, and he was just this lively little thing. Happy as can be. I gave him a bunch of toys I bought him and his collar and tags. Honestly his favorite thing to do for those first few days was lay beside me when I was working and go to town on a little bone. He finally learned how to go down stairs, understood what potty meant and had 1 single accident in the house when he was well. I had been teaching him how to sit, and it was a 50/50 chance he'd do it.

Then Thursday I had to do something and sent him to my sister's for a couple hours...I came back to a different dog. He was sleepy, didn't want food or water; as the days went on he got worse and worse, eventually passing blood and vomiting constantly. I assumed the worst and knew I was right. I couldn't get him to a vet yesterday, not even the emergency vets had time but I did today and he was in organ failure. They assume his liver was shutting down and causing everything else to just...stop working.

I chose the right thing to do and ended his suffering. Part of me wanted to take him home and hope for the best but...let's be real...a 4 month old puppy who can't even stand anymore or eat had no fighting chance.

I'm hurt to say the least. Incredibly bothered by the events and as much as I really really wanted a dog again, I just don't think I can manage right now. I will one day, but right now just isn't that time.

Excuse me while I go cuddle my cat who finally had grown to liking him. I think he'll get extra treats and cuddles tonight.

I'll miss you my little Zeus. You were very loved and I hope I do see you again.
im sorry for your lose so soon after getting him. Parvo?

That's so sad but you did the kindest thing. I lost my little Westie in November but he'd had a wonderful life. Left a huge hole which l admit is proving hard to fill.
When the times right another dog will pass your way as lm sure one will pass mine. 🥰

That's so sad but you did the kindest thing. I lost my little Westie in November but he'd had a wonderful life. Left a huge hole which l admit is proving hard to fill.
When the times right another dog will pass your way as lm sure one will pass mine. 🥰
when you elast expect it is when it seems to happen

Oh dear, mere words cannot express my sorrow for you and Zeus. You did the right thing for him. This sounds so inadequate to say, but I am so, so deeply sorry for both of you...I truly am...

That's aweful. It sounds like you fell for a trap by a backyard breeder. Those assholes are disgusting. They don't care about health or temperament, they're just puppy peddlers and most of the time the puppies they sell are sick because of horrible breeding practices and puppymill operations, so their breed, health and everything else is not what they are promised to be, but of course those pricks will tell people anything to make the sale. I'm sorry you fell for their trap. Many people do unfortunately. May that poor soul RIP. 😢

On a more positive note though, this is actually the ideal time in the coming months to consider rescuing a 6mo or older intact pup because people are going to, sadly, start wanting to get rid of their Christmas puppies they they never should've been gifted! So when you're ready, the coming months may be a chance for you to find your mate, and because they'll be a bit older, you'll have a more clear idea of their actual breed, temperament and health status is.

So sorry for your loss

That's aweful. It sounds like you fell for a trap by a backyard breeder. Those assholes are disgusting. They don't care about health or temperament, they're just puppy peddlers and most of the time the puppies they sell are sick because of horrible breeding practices and puppymill operations, so their breed, health and everything else is not what they are promised to be, but of course those pricks will tell people anything to make the sale. I'm sorry you fell for their trap. Many people do unfortunately. May that poor soul RIP. 😢

On a more positive note though, this is actually the ideal time in the coming months to consider rescuing a 6mo or older intact pup because people are going to, sadly, start wanting to get rid of their Christmas puppies they they never should've been gifted! So when you're ready, the coming months may be a chance for you to find your mate, and because they'll be a bit older, you'll have a more clear idea of their actual breed, temperament and health status is.
I wouldn't say he was a backyard breeder at all. Just a guy who had an accident with his dogs. I went in the house, I saw his dog. I saw the neighbors dog next door. Accident that happened and I was happy to benefit from the accident and gain a new partner.

There's a small part of me that believes he was poisoned by a family member who didn't agree with me getting a dog the breed he was. As much as I want a puppy partner again, I just can't bring myself to getting one while living next door to a monster like that. If that really happened, it wouldn't be the first time she did that in my life.

I really just feel like I failed that puppy. He depended on me to keep him safe and give him a good life, instead...I got footed with a $2000 vet bill for a bunch of test trying to save him, only for him to get put down anyways. I'm sure he was terrified the entire time at the vet but felt so bad he barely cared on the outside.

I had to carry him everywhere, which when I got him he was around 40 lbs, at the vet he was a little over 30 and he was just a few lbs to being able to say he was skin and bones. That was in a matter of 3 days. Friday morning was when he stopped eating, Saturday I tried to get him to a vet and then Sunday I finally got him in.

Hum it wasn't your fault and you did not fail! I do feel someone did something to you beloved zeus. A puppy does not go from what you describe him being to what he became for no reason. I would start asking some very pointed questions.

I wouldn't give up on your dream you sound like a very deserving, worthy candidate for puppy ownership. As the saying goes if the horse throws you simply get up, dust yourself off , and get right back on again. I'm sure there is a little bundle of happy wiggles, and friendly licks with your name all over it.

Crap does happen sometimes but do not ever let yourself get buried and smothered in it. Just don't let your new bundle of joy out of your sight with anybody you do not trust implicitly or you suspect might commit foul play against your fur baby!

I know your an awesome person with only the best intents towards canines so you go on and get yourself that which you desire!

My deepest sympathies for you and the one you lost and all kinds of friendly hugs being sent your way!

BTW you have an absolutely adorable, friendly, cuddly looking pfp! I love it.:gsd_love:

My friend you did the right thing when my kitten caught FIP it broke me to make that decision I still feel the grief of it today and it’s been 3 years but you did right by the little guy and if you believe in a second life I’m sure you’ll meet up again

I did finally find out what happened to him.

Last Wednesday I had to pick up groceries for my grandmother, I didn't want to leave him in the kennel and figure it would be entertaining for her to watch him for an hour or 2 while I was at the store. I brought him downstairs, told her he's ate and should need outside in maybe 30 minutes and just if she does let him outside to watch him - all the normal stuff.

I didn't think anything of it honestly.

After he passed, I didn't really come downstairs much, barely left the house. One day I did decide to go downstairs to make food and my grandma met with me and said 'I didn't know you had to put your dog down', and I explained to her what went on and her reply...'I hope it wasn't the chicken I gave him.' Then I learned she deboned an entire rotisserie chicken and just...gave him the bones.

After doing my own research, to a T, it describes what he went through. Either way, I believe he was past saving when I took him in but I wish I knew sooner. I wish she would've told me what she fed him so I would have hopped into action way more quickly.

OMG.. I can't imagine the hurt you are going through.

The amazing love and bond we have with our companions

That’s the worst :( I feel for you.

Parvo was negative. He was in organ failure. The vet wasn't very clear but apparently they suspected that it was something with his liver that started it.
Raising animals you learn that nothing is off the table at the start of life, it is truly a roll of the dice to what fate tosses us.

Some ask why I bring the rifle with me when I check on the lambs, it is even worse when they are a companion so many things can go wrong during those early stages of life it is mind boggling we have life at all on this rock, just be happy they got to have joy for the very short time they where here.

I did finally find out what happened to him.

Last Wednesday I had to pick up groceries for my grandmother, I didn't want to leave him in the kennel and figure it would be entertaining for her to watch him for an hour or 2 while I was at the store. I brought him downstairs, told her he's ate and should need outside in maybe 30 minutes and just if she does let him outside to watch him - all the normal stuff.

I didn't think anything of it honestly.

After he passed, I didn't really come downstairs much, barely left the house. One day I did decide to go downstairs to make food and my grandma met with me and said 'I didn't know you had to put your dog down', and I explained to her what went on and her reply...'I hope it wasn't the chicken I gave him.' Then I learned she de-boned an entire rotisserie chicken and just...gave him the bones.

After doing my own research, to a T, it describes what he went through. Either way, I believe he was past saving when I took him in but I wish I knew sooner. I wish she would've told me what she fed him so I would have hopped into action way more quickly.
and then there is that, people with no grasp of things, even more tragic.

i’m so sorry for your loss :(

Back